Friday, September 26, 2014

The New GM

I went to 15 games this season, between the Braves, Gwinnett, Rome, and Myrtle Beach. The most in a long time.

More on the new GM search:

ROB: If you read the various social media outlets, it seems many (most) of the fans who are active in this medium want Coppelella (Coppy) as the new GM instead of John Hart or Dayton Moore.  It seems many think that anything less than hiring Coppy will be a complete failure on the Braves part.

It is interesting because Coppy has not spent 1 day as the GM of a baseball club.  I think there is more to being a GM than many people think - you not only need to know who are the best players to get, you need skills to negotiate with other teams and players.  Coppy may very well be the next Theo Epstein or Billy Beane.  Nobody knows that at this point.  However I do know that John Hart took a dreadful Cleveland franchise and built them into a 90's World Series contender.

I think the best scenario for everyone would be if Hart took the job short term, with Coppy as his #1 assistant.  I think if Coppy takes the job now, it sounds like he would have JS, Cox and Hart all looking over his shoulder.

I think I probably went to the fewest games this year since the early 2000's.  I didn't buy tickets before the season started - I bought the ticket voucher thing.  I look forward to going back to buying a ticket package next year.

ME: And should Coppy fail the fair weathered fan would wonder why they hired someone without experience. Yet anyone with experience worth getting wouldn't be available.

No comments: