Friday, February 06, 2015

The Crossing Steakhouse

Our sales meeting was at The Crossing Steakhouse, the restaurant that took over the Norcross rail station. I was the last one to arrive at the dinner but only missed the cocktail hour. Bushed, I ordered my favorite: Coke Zero. One long table was filled mostly with the outside salesman from the meeting and my bosses. I found a seat at the end of the other long table where most of my daily coworkers sat. We ordered from a simplified menu similar to one of your big anniversary dinners. Steak was great. I tried the mac and cheese since it was recommended.

Appetizers: steak nachos & fried green tomatoes.
Salad: Tossed or Caesar (me)   
Main: 7 oz steak (me), chicken, salmon, or pork chops
Sides: gilled veg, mashed potatoes, spinach (me), mac & cheese (me).
Dessert: cheesecake & chocolate lava cake

All the food looked great and what I had was delicious. My steak has nice and tender, but the steak in the nachos was chewy. The service was personable and for the most part fast, especially considering our party of about 30. The décor has been upgraded but still retains a railroad motif. Live music Wednesday through Saturday nights. A little on the fancy side for me. I always liked the old Norcross Station Restaurant and it’s chicken tenders, broccoli rice casserole, and cranberry apple cobbler. I hear even it has become more upscale at its new location on Peachtree Industrial closer to our office.
Was home by 8:30. Packaged my eBay items and shipped them Thursday AM. Slept 30 minutes late so I was later than usual for work. Still catching up from Wednesday.

TUESDAY: Left work at six and stopped by the Stinky Kroger on the way home. When I returned to my car it wouldn’t start – the battery cables were worn out. I let the crooks at the Kauffman Tire next door fix it today as well as some other things. Not money I was planning to spend.

Another slow evening. Ceil cooked burgers and fries, which I tried to go easy on. Cleaned a little and took Anna’s Jeep for gas and some packing tape for eBay.

WEDNESDAY: a long day for me. Dropped off the keys at Kauffman at 8 am then took M to Legacy and C to Veritas. Worked from 9:30 to 1:30 then picked up M and his friend McKennon, then Ceil. Dropped me off at Kaufmann to get my car. Had to wait almost 30 minutes. Whoever test drove my car two miles smoked in it. A terrible lingering smell. I wasn’t pleased. Spent too much considering the CRV needs brakes and the Civic will need a timing belt. At least i get a ten dollar gift card. I hate traffic during the day...it's just like rush hour traffic. National signing day talk on the radio isn't super interesting. I'm currently reading a book about RFK during JFK's presidency. Got back to work at 3:45 and worked on an emergency until 5:25. Wore me out.
THURSDAY: Left work at five last night and drove 285 west to the Gallaria. People talk about how bad traffic is there during rush hour but it only took me 35 minutes to get there from Duluth. Can’t do too much better than that. Ate a chicken slad sandwich at Chickfila and earned $120.00 playing with a new cell phone for an hour. Got home to an empty house. Even Barney was gone. Anna went to see American Sniper (her first R rated movie “in a theater). Ceil had taken Barney with her to pick up M in Alpharetta. Back home Ceil watched Project Runway.

Hank Aaron turned 81. While Ichiro is close to passing Pete Rose on the all-time hits list, people often forget that Hank retired in second place on the all-time hit list (also runs scored). Aaron retired as the career leader in home runs, RBI, extra base hits, total bases, games played, at bats, and plate appearances. A much more all-around player than Bonds or Rose. In his career Hank played LF, CF, RF, 1B, 2B, 3B, DH, and PH. Rose played 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, RF, and PH.   

I had wondered why the newest young guy in our office wasn’t at our dinner, so I told him he was missed. Some people give him a hard time for doing things different, but no two people are alike. He confided that he was leaving the company next week. Hopefully it’s because he got a great opportunity and not because of the harassment. Sometimes I get grouchy, especially when I’m busy – especially the older I get. During those times of stress I need to watch what I say and do.

No comments: