Thursday, February 19, 2015

Childhood Memories

When I was a kid in Macon I had a poster on the wall that all these years later I wish I still had. It was a United States map with players from every team marking each NFL city. The poster was colorful, with all the players depicted in uniform and the rest of the country outlined in rich hues of brown and green. I’ve searched on eBay and Google for this poster with no luck. It’s one thing from my childhood I wish I still had.   

This got me thinking of some of my other favorite possessions from my childhood and teen years. As a kid I don’t remember having a ton of favorite toys.

Matchbox cars from the toy store on Ingleside Ave
Hot Wheels cars, orange track, and supercharger.
GI Joe with Mercury Space capsule
Tudor NFL electric football game
Louisville Slugger bats from Braves bat day (one remains)
Programs & scorecards from Braves & Falcons
Baseball and football cards
Navy New York Giants double bar helmet
Blue Jox sneakers
Royal blue first basemen’s mitt
White #12 jersey with yellow numbers
Navy #42 jersey
Lanier #23 football jersey with green shoulders
Falcons red #1 jersey
Green & blue pants from 9th grade
Beige stack heels
Pro Keds. I had 3 suede pair: gold, red, & navy.
Orange windbreaker (still have?)
Orange & white floppy hat
Central #21 jersey with TV numbers (still have)
Central #21 jersey with C on sleeves (gave to Don Lott)
White Central #21 football jersey
Denver Broncos tube socks
Central letter jacket (still have)
Light blue leisure suit
Sports Illustrated magazines
Red 1966 Ford Country Sedan station wagon

In addition to things I also remember the places we went.

Climbing the big backyard tree
Floating toy boats in the concrete ditch
Franklyn getting stuck in the magnolia tree
Finding baby bunnies near the swingset
Jekyll Island vacation
Original south Macon McDonalds
Hit by a car walking home from school.
Nancy Hanks train ride to Forsyth
Ocmulgee Indian Mounds
Maggie Valley trip
Shakey’s Pizza
Ft Myers Beach vacation
Youth retreats to Rock Eagle
Missouri road trips
Museum of Arts & Sciences peacocks, planetarium, & caboose.
Falcons training camp at Furman University
Birthday party at Braves/Pirates game
Northminster trip to Busch Gardens
Northminster camp at A H Stephens State Park    
Northside Christian camp in Temple GA
McDonalds or Shoneys after football games

No comments: