Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Chapel Choir Reunion

Having missed the most recent Chapel Choir Reunion while chaperoning my son's school trip, I was so glad I was able to make this one. I was sure to arrive early to make the most of the day. 

As the Fellowship Hall slowly filled people would break away from previous conversations and walk toward me - only to explain they were headed for the coffee or tea. Julie Breshears and Heather Swilley share my stomping grounds, though we've never crossed paths. We often see Kelly Clark around East Cobb, and I've sighted Clark Davie and Scott and Robin Condra on my infrequent visits to Johnson Ferry Baptist over the years. Back in 1980 Claire Whitaker adopted me as her big brother, and all these years later I'm still looking for ways to make her mad at me. 

Augusta residents Amy Herndon and Pat Poythress were hilarious, finishing each other's sentences while recounting their classroom adventures and the winding route they'd taken to get here. I heard Pam wanted Pat to sneak out, change clothes, and reappear with a Pamela Griffin nametag. Would've fooled me. Though he couldn't stay, it was nice to chat with fellow Tech grad Ken Crowe. Only McKay showed mercy for my aching shoulder. 

You could tell that Steve Williams had a great time. Back in the day we had few opportunities to spend time together. I had wanted to ask him about his family but never got the chance. There were so many people I had wanted to talk longer to, but there was so little time. I completely missed catching up with several people, like Andrea Irwin and Victoria Taylor. In addition to the people in the choir with me and the kids who sang when Ceil and I served in the youth were all the people who were away at college when I was at Tech. Over the years I have forgotten exactly where everyone fits in. Some I was able to hang with some after college: Jere, Bill and Lynn Teem, Mary Jane, and others. Andy Collins had been a wild and crazy Tech guy before I came along. Julianne Acuff and Charles Baugh from my college department days. Louise thought I went to UGA, which I took as a compliment.

Was fortunate to have a seat saved for me at the old people's table with the Korey's and McKeithens (the Condras and Joy Callaway ate there as well). Margaret is such a fun person to chat with. She could tell I needed the cookie that Joy Callaway had brought to her. I was so glad Whitney joined us - she's so outgoing and fun. Whitney lowered the average age of our table by several decades. Tony Kory and Craig McKenzie had me on stitches. A few weeks ago when Tony was ribbing Ricky Glover on Facebook - as he had 30 years ago - I was moved to write a short tribute to Tony and the others who served for so long in the youth department: Carroll Glover, Waterbucket, Brooks and Sara, and Dolly. Later in the day Mr. Condra paid homage to them. Perhaps this week I will share my tribute on Facebook, though I'm sure I left out several others just as devoted.

The old Ker Thud gang was reunited: Kimberly, Catherine, Melissa, and Nancy. So thankful Kimberly dragged her husband along. Jim Johnson was my partner in crime at Georgia Tech, and it was great to relive those times with him. He has a better memory than me - there were so many stories he shared that I scarcely remembered. As I recall Jim came on the Chapel Choir scene for just a few years, then went off to the Air Force. So there were many at the reunion he didn't know very well. I'd introduce him as Mr. Kimberly Kitchens, which was a bad joke. I really had to watch Jim when he started telling stories about our adventures to people like Louise and Mary Jane.

Enjoyed seeing so many people: Ben Craig. Ann Garrison. Mary Katherine. Kathryn. Ginny. Lisha. Jerome. Ester. Betsy. Sloane. Cathy Harris. Robin Brady. Many put up with me on social media: Mary Elizabeth. John Lewis. Jill. Audra and Holly. Debra Underwood. Tommy Statham. Missy. David Hall. No, not that David Hall, the other one. I told Hector that I still have the Cutco knife we bought from him over 25 years ago. Amanda Margeson must have sung in choirs after high school, based on her posture comment. Next time we're gonna make Ricky keep the kids so Rachel can sing!

So great to see how God was working in people's lives. Mandy is pregnant. Artist Nancy Shippen. Rob and Elizabeth and Tony have written books. Mark and Marnie serve at Peachtree Presbyterian, and Glenn at Emory. David Watterson. Staci Head. Many more lead music or teach. Some are grandparents, some have kids in college, and others have babies in diapers. 

Such great testimonies: Beverly Petty's was so heartfelt, as were Rob's and Elizabeth's and the others. I'd never pictured Bob and Myra Marsh at my age until Elizabeth mentioned it. Laurie Lanter's courage and faith is an example to us all.

When we started singing I would look around and tear up. The combination of memories - hearing the great old songs we used to sing combined with actually seeing so many dear friends around me was emotionally overwhelming. The only way I could sing was to look down at the music and concentrate on the notes. And I was not alone. All around I could see faces with expressions filled with joy. Now it's Wednesday and I think about something from Saturday and still get misty eyed. I was remiss to not secure a list of the songs we sang: Lead the Way, We Will Stand, Poor Man Lazarus, He is the Reason, Part the Waters, The Easter Song, He Came in Love, Trumpet of Jesus, Here Comes the Son, Hallelujah Amen. What did I leave out?

As always between songs Mr. C would remind and challenge us to continue in service and following after God, which I needed and appreciated. So great that God continues to do mighty things through John. Mr. Condra's humble yet bold service has always been an example to me. During the afternoon I was reminded of the last day of my last choir tour, when as Chapel Choir President I had the duty of giving a short speech thanking and honoring Mr. C. I remember putting my hand on his shoulder and saying "Mr. Condra..." then pausing and calling him by his first name for the first time ever. For the next several years I was able to benefit from John's leadership and example in the Adult Choir. Charles, Ron, Margaret, Jere, and Kelly all participated in Christmas pageants and Easter musicals like Living Pictures and Elijah.

Having sung so infrequently these past 25 years, I was thrilled to sit next to guys who knew how to sing: Scott and Jim. As several have noted, Tracy, Heather, Tripp, and Scott all nailed their solos. I know Tracy and Heather still sing, but I think Tripp and Scott said not so much. After Tripp's solo I told my fellow basses that I doubted the first guy to sing that spiritual was named Tripp. I was disappointed Susan Condra did not lead the choreography for Here Comes the Son and He Came in Love. Some of the younger girls still remembered.

So good to see all the parents and teachers as well. Frank and Babs Gudger, Craig and Kaye McKenzie, the Garrisons, Alex and Pam Mullen, Dolly Wiley, Danny and Arden Starnes. It was so fun to see the obvious excitement on Arden's face as she looked around. I hadn't seen Reid and Edie Whitaker in a couple of weeks. Staff members Dock & Melissa Hollingsworth and Charles Qualls showed their support. Jim Neyland looked great. Jimmy Light and Howard Eaton came late and left early, though both traveled great distances.

Great to chat with Ron Watts and Rob Suggs. Back in the 80's Rob and I worked side by side for several years and had a blast. I would fill him in on all the latest SPdL youth and singles gossip. Now that he and Gayle are back at SPdL he is returning the favor. As an editor of books Rob often gently corrects the frequent grammatical errors in my Facebook posts, which as a wannabe writer I actually appreciate. Saturday we discussed the merits of the English Comma and I shared with him my horror of spending my days with people who hold proper grammar and a nicely written email with little regard. Now wait, where was I? Oh yes, the reunion.

Many good friends were missed, most notably Don Head. Also his brother Steve and sister Debra. Mark Crumpler looked out of place without sidekicks Steve Suggs and Franc Neal, and their younger brothers Joe and Wesley. Pastor Rick Statham. Poor McKay was missing Julie, Miriam, Sherry, and Carey. Jeff Yearwood had a previous commitment, as did Fred O. I can go on and on. Should've invited Bruce Ambrose.

As usual everyone wanted to know where Ceil was. Last summer her daddy passed away, and Ceil took advantage of my son's winter break this week to spend several days with her mom in South Carolina. Ceil has much love for so many at SPdL but sometimes finds huge gatherings overwhelming - she fares much better in smaller settings. She's heard all my lame stories and jokes over and over so she let me have my fun without her.

So thankful to Gayle for organizing everything and having a lunch for me even though I failed to confirm one. Thanks to Kelly V for all she did. Deborah's flowers were lovely. She enjoyed pointing out my picture on the tables. The event was well documented by shutterbugs Jayne, Elizabeth, Ricky Richardson, and others. Thanks for sharing - hope you don't mind my swiping some for my own use.

Disclaimer: I write weird recaps like this not only to share with my email pal Reid and post to my blog so I can remember. Not just to post creepy stuff about other people on the world wide web. I'll be happy to take your name out if you'd like. Pardon my use of maiden names instead of taking the time to get all the married names straight. I considered trying to list everyone in attendance for fear of leaving someone out. I sometimes take notes at events I later want to chronicle and remember, but didn't this time. Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your heart Dave…. miss you friend. Wish I could have made it down. Never forget…. the backboard is my friend!

Don Head said...

Great memories, Dave. Sorry I missed it. Looks and sounds like everyone had a wonderful time.

David said...

Thanks guys. Chad I still have that green shirt.

Don I had been so ready to ask you "what do?"

David H. said...

There's another David Hall? This was great, Dave. Glad to hear the reunion was such a huge success.