Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Animal Farm

There I was in one of those focus groups, seated around a table. As I looked around I saw eight interesting looking individuals. Couple of them bore strong resemblance to an animal. It made me do something I normally don’t: In my mind I went around the room and assigned each an animal look-alike. I took a pen and wrote PDCMGDPB on my hand…my normal spot for jotting a quick must-remember note. The animal anagram.

PIG: Sorry! It was more her pink complexion than her weight, but both stood out all the more in her too-short-for-her black dress. Red hair.

Loveable Dog: The European moderator had a gentle smile and manner.

COW: Maybe I’m not the best at this, but I thought I saw her in Barnyard. A sometimes gentle, sometimes gruff mother, not too old or not too young. Lithonia resident…a long way from our Perimeter Mall-area setting. Afterwards in the elevator she was sharing focus group tips with the Donkey and Poodle…she loves the tax-free money, so she can be found most nights at a focus group. Has her young daughter in the same racket. Figure she takes in about $300.00 a week. Obviously she must stretch the truth to qualify for all these studies. The money would be nice, but I certainly don’t have the time or inclination to make it my second job.

Mule/Donkey: A “gentleman” older and more overweight than me. Long grey hair. Spins records on weekends, does focus groups during the week.

GOAT: Skinny, hard-working Nigerian entrepreneur in a dark shirt and monochromatic tie. Wanted us to know he did a lot of walking, a MARTA regular.

Angry but Devoted Sheep-Herding Dog: Working mother from Cartersville. Looked like a Texan, whose opinion was not to be swayed. Tough. Eyes close together like a sheep-herding dog. Very interesting / unusual name, which I forgot. Late in the session she rambled a conclusion, summing up each person’s stance…”Some are this, some are that. Some want to kill themselves…” WHAT? Did I miss something? Was she talking about herself! Sad, but I had to keep from laughing!

POODLE: A well groomed but casually-dressed lady older than me. Didn’t say much.

BULL: Big guy, didn’t say much either. Wore black urban attire. What he did say didn’t make much sense…seemed to contradict himself (I probably came across the same way).

Notice I skipped myself, vain soul that I am.

No comments: