Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Other Miami Stuff

Didn’t get too lost going from the airport to the office, and arrived around 11 am. They were taking inventory, and my review of their work orders revealed a couple of orders that were confusing things. With the GM in Jacksonville the office manager said I should hit the beach, but I stuck around til four.

It was tougher finding the hotel, even though I was taking my time. GM Nelson took me out for an Italian dinner. Back at the hotel I ran next door to Target/Sports Authority for a poncho, since thunderstorms were in the Saturday forecast. Sports Authority is such a ripoff…the poncho had a $6.99 “sale” tag, though it rang up $5.99. Later I peeled off the $6.99 sale tag to reveal the original price: $5.99. Murphy’s Law: It didn’t rain.

Saturday morning my old boss Steve drove down from Melbourne Beach, meeting Nelson, his wife Sarah, and I for a nice breakfast at a New York Deli.

At Nelson’s house after the game Sarah showed us mementos from her uncle, a fellow named Robin Roberts. Nelson and Sarah attended a HOF induction with him. Photos with Yogi, Killebrew, Jim Palmer, a bitter Reggie Jackson. Ball autographed by Stan Musial and Bob Feller. Afterwards my late flight gave me plenty of time to return to the airport and write this up.

No comments: