Thursday, September 02, 2010

End of an Era

So many teens are experiencing the extra freedoms, spending time with friends, discovering girls, saddled by study, and thinking about college. So spending twenty hours a week on baseball, without the success and positive feedback they had earlier in their career, is discouraging. Several voiced the same inaccurate, almost humorous comment that Will made, that “some team will want to pick me up later.”

They see players much better than they are, and it’s discouraging to them. At this level the game is almost more about going for a scholarship than playing for fun. Will considered playing softball with former teammates, now in college without the baseball options that Will still has…for fun.

Not sure what’s going on this weekend. My dad offered to pay for us to run the Macon 10K, but Will has a meeting a school Monday morning. Plenty to do around the house. I hear Johnson Ferry Baptist is having an outdoor music/BBQ thing all afternoon, though I doubt we’ll go. May spend some time looking for a car for Will.

Will hopes to attend some playoff games. We’ll see how busy he is.

A guy in operations wants me to spend a week helping out our new Mobile office, the first week of October. Unless my boss is persuaded, I doubt he’ll let me go. Boss is off this Wed-Thur-Fri, but checking email from his camper. Mice are playing, and trying to get out of work. I’ve had a busy week so far.

No comments: