Friday, September 17, 2010

Hanging With Ex-Cons

This morning I came in late, after swing by my favorite tire place, Tire Deals. Across from Donna Freund’s WellStar office on Sandy Plains, near Highway 5. Took me about ten minutes to get in and out of there, though they didn’t open until 8:30.

Best I can tell, those hard, poor gas mileage Firestones lasted 68,754 miles. One was in terrible shape: warped, with tread showing. Made lots of noise. I could immediately tell the difference.

I often wondered if the Tire Deals owner (a shady cash-only character himself) hired ex-cons as his cheap labor.

This morning I got there early, so I parked in front of the one bay (claiming my spot as first in line). Eventually I caught a glimpse of a shady-looking guy in my mirror. He inadvertently stood in my blind spot, just well behind the car. Looked like the goofy clone in Multiplicity.

His not so shady co-worker then arrived. He was more outgoing. I tried to listen to their conversation as they worked, in case they discussed something exciting. Sounded like one of them watched a Sandra Bulloch movie last night.

So much for a glimpse into the evil underworld of crime.

No comments: