Friday, September 17, 2010

HBP

Jeter HBP: They said that had it been ARod, he would’ve been vilified. What Jeter said was true; the umpire pointed him to first. If HE had disputed the call, would it have been changed? I did see the play the night it happened.

Just read a SI article about the first big batting race, in 1909 between Ty Cobb and Nat Lajoie. On the last day of the season Cobb led by a point. The Browns hated Cobb, so the manager played the third baseman back on the leftfield grass. Nat went 8-8 in the doubleheader, with seven straight bunt hits.

Cobb still edged out Lajoie, when it was said the second game of an earlier DH had been counted. Cobb had gone 4-4. Years later statistians determined the 4-4 game was counted twice…on purpose. Bowie Kuhn did not correct the error.

What did Delta do for Bobby’s last road trip, spray the plane with fire hoses? I missed it, but Heyward tweeted about something.

Slow Friday for me, while several other departments take inventory, including my boss. Everyone wore football stuff today. I wore a hot Milwaukee Braves LS tee, then changed to a SD Chargers jersey.

This weekend I need to get the brakes on the van serviced. Hopefully I’ll watch Tech, and perhaps Clemson. Need to do some yardwork.

No comments: