Thursday, October 15, 2015

More Yogi

More Yogi Berra: was at Omaha Beach on D-Day. Was grazed by a bullet from a German machine gun. He never applied for a Purple Heart so as to not worry his mother. He did earn two battle stars, a Distinguished Unit Citation, and a European Theater of Operations ribbon. Berra hit a home run in his first two games in the majors. Between integration (1947) and expansion (1961) only Stan Musial drove in more runs than Berra. Yogi played in 14 World Series and won a record ten (Bench played in four). As a coach or manager Yogi participated in seven more – placing him in 21 of the 34 World Series between 1947 - 1981. From 1950-1956 his finishes in the MVP race: 3rd, 1st, 4th, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd. Between 1997 and 2009 he wrote eight books.

In comparison Johnny Bench's best seven year stretch of MVP finishes: 13th, 1st, DNF, 1st, 10th, 4th, 4th. Bench played in 13 straight all star games. Yogi played in 15 straight. 

Ceil’s friend Dawn came to town but I had a focus group tonight. I just found out the football reunion is this Friday night in Macon. Nice that they let me know! Guess I’ll try to make Mary-Clayton’s brother’s football game next Friday.

I actually watched a tiny bit of the baseball playoffs the other night. Wrigley Field seems to be a zoo. Also Citi Field in New York.

Worked until almost six Monday night. Sneezed most of the day. Stopped by the library to pick up some books. Found a great pair of lightweight khakis. They’re a little long but should be ok when I wear the right shoes. Ceil cooked Mexican beef and rice. She watched The Voice. Five people from Atlanta on there. Also The Middle.

I was up late trying to register a new credit card and order a new phone for Will. His old phone died. Mine is on its last legs, but last Friday Eric and Steve approved a new phone for me. I was angling for an iPhone 6 but since 5s phones are free I wasn’t able to get a 6. Three coworkers recently got the 5s, so there was no way I could score the 6. Funny how Apple makes iPhones where you can’t put in a new battery. They figure people are going to spring for the new phone every time they put out a new one. So many people do – they have to the latest gadget. Both Will and I had iPhone 4’s, so it’s been awhile since we had new ones.

Steve Spurrier retired. Gamecock fans loved him. My story is that since he lost several games he was going to be fired, so he retired instead. I also joked that I had a job interview in Columbia today and asked what color tie should I wear.

No comments: