Habits of highly emotionally intelligent people, by Dr Travis Bradberry.
These people outperform people with high IQ’s most of the time (tell me about it).
1. Be positive.
2. Have a robust emotional vocabulary: only 36% of people can accurately identify the specific emotions they’re experiencing.
3. Balance assertiveness with good manners, empathy, and kindness.
4. Be curious about other people.
5. Forgive to prevent a grudge, but don’t let yourself get mistreated by others.
6. Don’t let anyone limit your joy.
7. Make things fun.
8. Don’t get offended easily – have thick skin.
9. Quash negative self-talk.
a. self-awareness (the ability to accurately perceive your emotions and stay aware of them as they happen)
b. self-management (ability to use awareness of your emotions to stay flexible and positively direct your behavior)
a. social awareness (your ability to accurately pick up on other’s emotions and understand what is really going on)
b. relationship management (ability to use awareness of your emotions and other’s emotions to manage interactions successfully).