Sunday, January 15, 2023

Gilligan's Island

Did you know: Raquel Welch auditioned for the role of Mary Ann on Gilligan’s Island? Others not cast: Jerry Van Dyke as Gilligan, Jayne Mansfield in the Ginger role, Carroll O’Connor as the Skipper, Dabney Coleman as the Professor, and a few other big names. I remember the Jerry Van Dyke story, but missed on most of the others.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.metv.com/lists/8-actors-who-were-almost-cast-on-gilligans-island__;!!AE29DT8V!QikKaBOCSocMKKusGUxkv3gSDhemUumHcJ5fxjsfgPGtyblgnfnBoaG0dZRx6Dkjx_e8gwZyg8iW73ZcrfQ$

A prayer for daily surrender, posted by Andy Stanley:

Heavenly Father, I surrender myself to you.

My hands, my feet, my eyes, my ears.

My thoughts and desires, my hopes and dreams,

my talent and opportunities. I surrender all.

Thy will be done through me today.

Sermon notesBeing Human: concerning work: 

Clay Smith JFBC Genesis 2

How can you enjoy work…

1. Reframe your purpose for work: God has designed us to work. Your place of work can be a place of worship.

Rom 12: your spiritual service of worship - cultivate and keep it. Work is bigger than compensation, contributing to your company's production while glorifying God, volunteering in worthwhile organization and caring for children and parents. Live with a sense of calling. 

MLK Jr. said "If you are called to be a street sweeper, sweep the streets like Shakespeare wrote plays". 

Clay: we will work for all eternity. There will be work to do in heaven. There will be no sin so it will be joyful.

Randy Alcorn: our best days of work on earth will be a taste of heaven.

2. Restore the way I work.

A. The fall made work significantly harder.  Gen 3:17-19 more sweat more thorns, people don't want to compromise

B. We have to learn a new way to work Matt 11:28-30 My yoke is easy. Some people don't want to work. They don't want to I Tim 5:8 worse than an unbeliever. Yoke yourself to God. Take Jesus to work with you. Love the ways of Jesus at your work. Go 2 miles.

C. Work is an opportunity for mission…
a. Excellence. Please God
b. Ethics. Don't cut corners, do the right thing
c. Evangelism at work. Be courageous and bold. You are a light in a dark place

3. Regain my life from work. Lots of ambitious hard chargers out there. Can rob our souls. Need healthy rhythms of work and rest. Sleep is important. My limitations are a gift. We need sleep and boundaries.

One day we will be in heaven with God. All will be accomplished. Be about your Father's business. Let God do a new work in your heart.

Next week: God made genders.
1 Thessalonians 1:6 – "God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you." 

No comments: