Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Ray Guy > Reggie Roby

Comparing hall of fame punter Ray Guy to former Dolphin punter Reggie Roby. In 1973 Guy broke new ground for punters, blazing a trail for others like Roby, who entered the league in 1983. Guy was an all-around athlete and football player, breaking records in college for most interceptions and longest field goal at Southern Miss. He was the emergency QB for the Raiders, and also handled kickoffs. Roby was strictly a punter, wearing a wristwatch during games.

Guy: 1st round draft pick, 3xAll Pro, 7x Pro Bowl, 3x Super Bowl champion

Roby: 6th round draft pick, 2x All Pro, 3x Pro Bowl

Guy played for one team all 14 seasons (73-86). Roby bounced around to five teams over 16 seasons (83-98), but punted fewer times than Guy despite playing in more 16 game seasons than the Raider great. Guy never missed a game. Roby played in every game in only ten of his 16 seasons.

Like comparing Tiger Woods to Jack Nicklaus, except Guy was more dominant in the 70's than Roby was in the 80's and 90's.

There was a discussion of the marvelous simplicity of Guy's Raider uniform: the simple jersey with sleeves, uncluttered by patches, not form-fitting. Pant legs that cover the knees. White socks over black stockings instead of the single-colored tights worn by today's players. Also the simple double-bar face mask.

Monday: left work at 5:15 and drove straight to church for small group, the last segment of 2 Thess (key verses below).

Lifted weights this AM at the gym. Added a little weight finally, which was good.

Last day of the month. In a lunch meeting from 11:30 well past 1 pm. Jason's Deli club sandwich on croissant: ham, bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato. BBQ chips and a cookie. After the meeting we were looking at old JM Tull sales meeting photos from 1955. I knew three people - Pollard Turman, who passed away in 1987 shortly after I started with the company. Turman was JM Tull's righthand man, and a longtime member of SPdL. Also Bill Brannon, who retired right when I was starting at Tull in 1987, and Henry Rogers, a retiree I once played golf with, in a company tournament. I have an old metals book on my desk that once belonged to Bill Brannon.

2 Thessalonians chapter three:

V 6 We command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness (unruliness) and not in accord with the teachings you received from us.

V 10 We give you this command: if anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

V 12 We command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.

V 14 If anyone does not obey what we say in this letter, take note of that person, and have nothing to do with them, that he may be ashamed.

I consider myself young. I'd like to live thirty more years, see my kids get married, and watch my grandkids grow up. There's plenty for me to still do. But if I were to die tonight, don't feel bad for me. I've lived a great life. There's nothing wrong with the work I've done all these years. I'm certainly thankful to God for giving me the life He's given me, and for Ceil and my kids and Shivonne.

No comments: