Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Mall Rats

In high school usually I worked at the intown Baskin Robbins store with my good friend Don, but sometimes out at the Macon Mall Baskin Robbins with my pal Chuck. Chickfila was right across the walkway, but we never considered trading ice cream for chicken. In fact I never ate at the Macon Mall Chickfila. I had ice cream to eat!

Then I got a job at a clothing store at the mall, Anderson Little. I would hang out with the girls who operated the little kiddy train. Back then there wasn’t much to do on dates, so sometimes a date would be to drive over to the mall and walk around, if there wasn’t a school basketball game to go to.

When I flunked out of Tech I got a job at the Chickfila at the Omni International (now CNN Center). I’ve told you about that many times I’m sure.

C likes for me to drive her places. Less stress on her. I get so little down time that I don’t mind sitting in the car. C likes for Winnie to ride along, so she doesn’t have to be home alone. Though Winnie doesn’t seem to enjoy riding in the car.

I remember several years ago taking C to Perimeter Mall. Like the grocery, I let C go off and shop. In winter if its too cold to sit in the car, I will go inside and check out the stores that interest me. Then I will sit out in the mall and people watch and check my phone. But one time I saw Bill Reed sitting there, so we had a nice conversation.

Pretty sure I remember that coffee stand at Lenox. I think I went to the Delta desk at Lenox to buy my tickets to Bermuda for our honeymoon.

Finished “Things You Save in a Fire”. Very good. Now reading” 100 Places to See After You Die” by Jeopardy host Ken Jennings. Not very good. Plus I think he left out the place I’m going after I die.

I left about 4:45 on Friday and went to get a haircut.

Saturday morning we left out about 7:30 am. Up Ga 400 past Cumming then across to Gainesville and 985, then north through Clayton into NC, east to Asheville, then north and east to Spruce Pine to the artist market C wanted to attend. Arrived around noon. Ceil went inside, and me and Winnie went to McDonalds. Got the GA@Vandy game on my phone.

When Ceil finished we drove to Bakersville. She went to another art gallery and I walked around a bit. Then a scenic drive through the mountains and back to Asheville. C couldn’t find a place to eat so I got off at the nearest exit and parked. She took Winnie for a walk. We found a neighborhood burger spot nearby, probably better than any place downtown. Then drove home, arriving home shortly after nine. A long day.

Sunday school and church. Later we took a nap. Watched the Falcons. What a train wreck. Letting the play clock expire. Interceptions. Score to cut the lead to 24-16 but go for two instead of kicking the PAT. Then an interception to curtail the comeback. And people complain about the Braves after their record-breaking regular season. Later I did laundry and cut the grass. 

Up early Monday morning to run. Planned to run 4 miles. Ran a good first mile in 11:23. After about 1.6 miles I felt a sharp pain in my back, which happens once in a blue moon. I grabbed on to the handrails, stopped running, and started walking. I was able to finish the second mile. My back should feel better soon.

Worked until 5:30. Stopped by Dollar Tree, where everything is $1.25. Spent $33, mostly for Halloween candy. I had gone in for one bar of soap. At home C realized she was out of milk, so I drove her to Kroger. Pancakes and bacon for supper.

My back was still sore from the morning run, so I skipped the gym this morning. Actually got 7-1/2 hours of sleep. Just got out of computer training. Chickfila sandwiches, salad, and macaroni & cheese for lunch, with cookies.

Denison: why is Israel so important to America?

Wellness routine habits.

Ways to boost your memory.

The secret Disney attraction: the clap box. 

I have a couple of coworkers with kids at Mill Creek and Buford. Coworker Rachel went to Mill Creek. Coworker Matt’s daughter had been a cheerleader at Buford.

No comments: