Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Miracle At Truist Park

Tuesday: left work after 6 pm. Remembered the Braves game had started so I turned on the radio. I was driving into the sun so I put on the same Crackers cap I'd worn Saturday night (when the Braves lost). Wheeler struck out the first six Braves. I took the cap off. Put on the other Braves cap I had in my car. Not much better. 

Got home and turned on the TV. Fixed a sandwich with ham, cheese, chicken, and turkey bacon on toasted wheat. A Dagwood. Good. Put in a load of laundry, folded some clothes, unloaded my car. Put the Crackers cap on the stairs, to take it upstairs. Braves still no offense. At 8:45 I finally plopped down on the couch. Braves started doing better.

Riley made the great running catch in foul territory. In the bottom of the 8th he hit the go-ahead home run – swinging with one hand.

After Minter walked Harper (unintentionally/intentionally), closer Iglesias got Realmuto to pop to short centerfield. Did you notice what happened? Both Albies and Arcia ran out to catch the ball, but CF Harris called them off and made the catch. This left second base uncovered, with a runner on first. Pitcher Iglesias raced to cover second. Instead of tossing the ball to Albies or Arcia, Harris' throw almost sailed over Iglesias' head. He had to lead to catch it. Albies turned and gave his trademark "what are you doing?" glare to Harris.

Then with one out the long drive to right center. Down by a run, Bryce Harper took off from first base, intent on scoring the tying run from first base. Smart play? Had he held up, scoring with two out was all the more unlikely. Had he crossed second and turned to see if the ball dropped, his chances of scoring would've dropped.

But CF Harris made the great catch. Harper raced to retrace his steps, rounding second on the way back to first. Then Harris' strong throw sailed past both Albies and Arcia.

After celebrating the catch, Riley raced across the infield to back up the throw. He grabbed the ball and fired sidearm to the stretching Olson to double off Harper, ending the game. What a finish.

Riley's play was reminiscent of Derek Jeter's famous third-backup flip toss to nail Jeremy Giambi in the Yankees/Athletics ALCS several years ago.

Earlier in the game some on social media were glad they "hadn't wasted their money on playoff tickets" - only to later delete their posts.

Then the Diamondbacks beat the Dodgers in LA for the second straight time, and need only one win at home to eliminate the most expensive payroll in baseball.

Fun fact: you'll be happy to know that Snitker's Braves had the fewest sacrifice bunts in baseball this year, with only two. Dodgers had five. Arizona led baseball. One Diamondback had 14.

Most sacrifice bunts by a pitcher? Tom Glavine. Most by a righthanded pitcher? Greg Maddux.

This morning I made it to the gym to lift weights. At work I trained from 7 – 11 am.

I am the world's worst with remotes. Supposedly there's a way to use my phone as a remote, but I can't get it to work. Also I need to set up my phone to see who's at the front door, and to open & close the garage, but I have yet to do those things either. Also watch ESPN and other channels on my phone. Can't do that either. Would come in handy this coming Saturday while I'm sitting in the car in NC waiting on C.

Cheap classic cars on a budget, from Road & Track.

Denison on how the terrorist attack on Israel happened: intelligence failures, spiritual warfare, funding the enemy, etc.

Pizza for lunch today. Jason's Deli for lunch yesterday. Jimmy Johns for lunch tomorrow.

No comments: