Monday, January 14, 2008

Punt, Pass, & Kick

As a kid my dad entered me in Punt, Pass, & Kick, back around 1970. I was no athlete, but it made my day when my place kick sailed low but good enough for third place in my age group. A cheap tee had come with my football, and I began kicking down the driveway. By 9th grade I was good enough to kick for the team, and I kicked all through high school.

One of my favorite things about PP&K was the little tip booklet that was passed out at Ford dealerships. My first year it was illustrated with great cartoons, of the Cardinals Jim Baaken, the Vikings Joe Kapp, and the Falcons Billy Lothridge. Other years they had cool photos of Jerral Wilson and Garo from the Dolphins. Sure wish I had held on to those booklets!

The kids that made the regional competitions wore those replica unis, complete with colored socks. They even wore replica helmets! To this day, I’m a sucker for those helmets, when I see one for sale for a dollar at a thrift store. Got dozens in my attic…last month I just bought a 1960’s era UNC youth helmet.

No comments: