Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Whack Hyder Says Hello

This weekend OK State was on TV and they had Eddie Sutton’s name on the court. Every game I saw had a coach’s name on the court, and they were all from the 80’s/90’s…also Coach K, Cremins, Syracuse. What about Whack Hyder?

For years my Grandmother lived on North Stratford near Lenox. My mom grew up in the house on the corner of Stratford and Peachtree, and graduated from North Fulton. The house later became the Church of Christ Scientist…now all that remains is the little reading room on the corner. By the time I came along my grandmother had moved down North Stratford. Even in the late 60’s/early 70’s there was talk about GA 400, and she finally moved to a condo off Pharr Court, behind what is now Brio. Many houses still stand on North Stratford. My grandmother’s is gone, but the front yard still remains.

My grandmother worked in the registrar’s office at Tech, for years and years…retiring before I arrived in 1977. She got to know Whack Hyder, who often came by to check on the status of recruits and players. My first quarter at Tech I took a PE course called “aerobics” and all we did was run. We ran different distances for half the class, then played football or basketball for the second half. It get an A you had to run a mile and a half in twelve minutes. Hyder was the teacher, and he remembered my grandmother. For years afterward I would see him at Tech basketball games, and he’d always speak to me.

Will was at the Normans last Wednesday when it snowed, and they had a big time. Willis would use his long arms to stretch out and grab all the snow off a car, making a huge snowball. Anna and Matthew also had fun at our house. Saturday Anna had a big time, because she was at a friend’s house on a hill. We went shoe shopping for her on the way home, taking away valuable snow time. Then Ceil took her and Matthew ice skating with friends. Most of the snow was gone by the time they got home!

Church was cancelled, so I took Matthew to get a haircut…then we ate at Moes. We had thought two other churches were closed as well, but I heard Johnson Ferry had services. Later we all went to see the 5 pm Gameplan at the Picture Show. I’d forgotten how “cute” it was, but I suffered through it for a second time. Then I watched the end of the exciting NYG/GB game.

Work has been busy this week. Last night I went from work to get Will, and we didn’t get home til 8:15. Ceil is taking him to Douglasville for this afternoon’s game, while I pick up Anna after ballet. Tomorrow Will has baseball, and Matthew has tryouts Saturday. It just gets busier and busier.

No comments: