Thursday, January 13, 2011

I HATE SNOW

Recapping the last seven frigid days…

Worked “late” again last Thursday, then again battled traffic. Credit card machine wasn’t working at two BPs, so I had to go to QT. By then it was so late I decided to go to the library. Since the Merchants Walk library moved, there’s not one convenient to our house, since we live on the county line. Got the Drew Brees book.

I was feeling even worse, so after dinner I fell asleep. Wasn’t excited about the GoDaddy.com Bowl. Later I watched an interesting CNBC show about Facebook. All the kids were in playing on the Wii. Almost didn’t go to work Friday, I was so sick.

I was at home five straight days, but didn’t do too much. Friday and Saturday I was still sick. Will took Matthew to his Friday night practice, and Ceil took Anna to a sleepover. I picked her up Saturday night. W took M to the Saturday night Flight game. There was a big crowd, and both DJ and Connor dunked.

Sunday I stayed home from church, but went to M’s game. The other team scored with 8 seconds to go, stole the ball, and made a buzzer-beater to win a thriller. M played good defense, shadowing a top scorer. That night we RedBoxed the “Charlie St. Cloud” movie, which I liked.

Our office was closed Monday, and I worked from home Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Everyone in our 9 person department made it in yesterday except Brad and me. We’re the only two on salary, and the only two that can work from home. Wednesday morning I talked to Brad, who didn’t want to go in either. I felt a little bad about not going in, but was quite apprehensive about driving on the ice. Late yesterday the Ogre emailed us, saying we needed to show up Thursday.

Played out in the snow a little bit Monday with the kids. Will sledded down the steep bank to the creek. Worked some, even though the office was closed. Watched the whole BCS game, a thriller. Of course, Will was jumping up and down, screaming.

Worked more on Tuesday and Wednesday, as the guys were back working in Augusta. Finally went out to Kroger Wednesday afternoon, with C and M. All three kids got a decent amount of schoolwork done. Should’ve exercised, but didn’t. Took naps every day. Watched Cash Cab, Seinfeld, and Conan.

It was nice to get out of the house this Thursday, but I hate driving in the ice. Drove the van to work. The roads were bad the whole way, especially in Roswell on Old Alabama and Holcomb Bridge.

WHY I HATE SNOW: Back in 1981 several of us left Athens during a bad snowstorm, headed back to Tech. Dumb idea. My friend I was following was driving a Pinto. Going down a hill he slid off to the side. I didn’t slide, but couldn’t stop, so I plowed into him. We turned around and spent the night at UGA. Ever since then I’ve hated driving on ice and snow.

No comments: