Friday, January 14, 2011

Christmas Letters

As you know, I wrote one of those Christmas letters for several years. After a while it seemed like each letter was a carbon copy of the previous year, so I haven’t written one the last couple of years. I love getting them: it updates you on family details like little else. Some border on bragging, which is a common complaint.

Every year we get a letter from a couple Ceil knew. I look forward to getting their letter, as it seems like every year the letter gets longer (and the type gets smaller). It made me want to list out all the things they did and places they went, to see if it was logistically possible. One unique thing: they’re never afraid to include negative information about their family/children.

Their enclosed Christmas card picture locale got more exotic every year…from the beach, to Chicago, the Grand Canyon, to Paris, to the Pyramids. Then there was no 2009 letter. This Christmas we figured out why: They spent the last year living in China! They’ll probably be passengers when the first rocket takes regular people into outer space.

The roads were still terrible Friday morning. I figured out that anyone on the radio saying “the roads are clear” is a pickup driving cowboy, the type that drives too fast for the conditions, passing all the slower cars by driving directly over the ice. While local TV usually exaggerates the news (killings, shootings, etc) I think they’ve been accurate covering the road conditions this week. Even Friday’s warmer temperatures won’t clear everything out completely.

Despite the conditions, Ceil went out with the girls Thursday night. As usual, they stayed out too late. When I repeatedly tried to call her cell at 11:30, she didn’t answer. What am I supposed to do?

I thought I heard the announcers wondering why Auburn didn’t go for two, when they went up four. Then the announcers didn’t offer an explanation why they didn’t…I think they were still talking about the touchdown play. Even though most coaches carry a “card” that tells them when to go for two, many don’t put the card into play until the fourth quarter.

Will likes those daily ESPN.com polls.

No comments: