After losing last week, Joel tried to find a new lucky shirt. I wore the same shirt. Based on our performance, perhaps I should have as well.
1. LANGUAGE: In prayer, what final word means “so be it” in Hebrew? Easy...Amen. Five points.
2. FAMOUS PEOPLE: What is the title of the spiritual leader of
4. ALCOHOL: What is the profession of Captain Henry Morgan? Either pirate or ship captain. We guessed wrong…he was a pirate. I should’ve given more effort. But why is HE being attacked in the commercial? A three point miss.
5. POT POURI: Which two countries share the most frequently crossed border in the world? We had to choose between
6. MOVIES: Which actor is the voice of woody, the cowboy doll in Toy Story? Tom Hanks, of course. One lousy point. Toy Story is
7. SPORTS: President George W Bush was the owner of what professional sports team? The
8. HISTORY: What two word term stands for the time after the fall of the
10. CAPITALS: Name the capital:
11. TELEVISION: What song was the subject of a Saturday Night Live skit, pleading for “more cowbell”? Classic skit, starring Christopher Walken. But I didn’t remember the song. Joel did: Blue Oyster Cult’s “Don’t Fear the Reaper.” Six points.
12. MUSIC: In 2000, what rapper survived being shot nine times? Joel knew: 50 Cent. Joel was six years old in 2000. Four points.
13. FAMOUS PEOPLE: In 1998, what 73 year-old actor became president of the National Rifle Association? I knew: Charlton Heston. Two points. Three straight second-round correct answers. Joel wondered: Can we come back? I wondered: Did Joel just jinx us?
14. GEOGRAPHY: What
15. BUSINESS: In 2002, what related business did eBay purchase? We didn’t know. PayPal crossed my mind, but it seemed newer than 2002, so I didn’t add it to the discussion. A four point miss. I chided Joel for knowing what rapper was shot in 200, without knowing eBay bought PayPal.
16. NATURE: What is the most visited US National Park? We listed several, and answered
17. SPORTS: What is the team mascot of the
18. COFFEE: Per capita, what is the top coffee-drinking nation? We guessed
19. MUSIC: What hit Michael Jackson song does Rihanna sample in her hit song “Please Don’t Stop the Music”? We could only guess. Most of the high school kids knew: “Wanna Be Startin Something” Our sixth straight miss. Sure enough, going to the final question, we were tied for last place…25 points behind the Floppy Fishes.
20. STATES: Based on total average temperature, name the five warmest
On the way home I had to pick up some milk at the Stinky Kroger. What song blared over the PA? Love Stinks. It was that kind of night.