Thursday, February 16, 2012

Not Just for Breakfast Anymore

An article in USA Today yesterday said home-schoolers, on average, scored 37 points above public school students on standardized achievement tests. The most recent survey (2007) shows more than 1.5 million children in the US are being home-schooled, up from 1.1 million in 2003. That’s 2.9% of the school age population.

My other life: Now that I’m hanging out at trivia every Thursday night, I’m starting to see some of the regulars around town…people Ceil doesn’t know. Saturday night a trivia girl sat behind us at the movies. Wednesday night at Kroger I saw another lady from trivia. I spent the entire Kroger trip chatting with people I knew: also the grandfather of Matthew’s teammate, and the sports-loving checkout clerk.

In the breakroom the dish soap is in a plain container with a simple computer-generated label taped on: DISH SOAP. At lunch today I picked it up and took it over to two tables of co-workers, telling them it was the generic brand. None of the six thought it was as funny as I did. Perhaps many of my “hilarious” Facebook posts fall flat as well.

At supper the other day Matthew was feeling puny, after being fit for braces. While talking about Valentines candy I got him to laugh with a quip from the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, when Willie Wonka’s dentist father uttered in disgust: “LOLLIPOPS! Cavities on a stick!”

No comments: