Friday, September 21, 2012

Back in the Hood

Wednesday I saw the signs in Garden Hills for the annual ice cream social. They have been having that social since the early 1980’s. The signs haven’t changed too much. Nice to see the Wednesday night folk at SPdL: the Heads, Ramsey’s, Cheathams, Bill Dukes, Joy Callaway, Drew Kelly, Don & Miriam Taylor, Sue Stumm, John Roma, and Charles Qualls. Thought that one of my best readers, Don Head, would appreciate this update.

The new GT arena was nice Reid W took me to the Open House. Like the Ted, there is a mezzanine where you can follow the game while walking around. Above that is a small upper deck. The old roof still remains, mixing the old and new. A nice touch. We thought there would be something to do…tour the locker rooms, etc, but there was nothing to do but walk around. The basketball players were there, dressed in navy t-shirts, so it was hard to tell who they were. Also the cheerleaders. Seems like they would’ve done a little more. Connie Morris posted a photo from right above us in the upper deck, but I don’t know if she was there at the same time.

The Braves almost came back Wednesday night…exciting 9th inning, both the top and bottom of the inning. I hate it when the batter got hit, putting the winning run in scoring position. They shouldn’t have given Reyes anything to hit. With two out, better to walk him and take their chances with the next batter.

A week or so ago I saw where Stuart and Susan Condra had gone to a Braves game together. John and Margaret may have been with them.

Saw where the new Marlins stadium displays the world’s largest collection of bobblehead dolls…over eight hundred. A Houston Astros employee began collecting them about twelve years ago, and sold them to the Marlins.  

Crazy Thursday. Left work at 1:45 to go to the doctor. Only then did I realize I’d been working so hard that I forgot to eat lunch. I was on the phone the whole way over to the Northside Hospital, and my five minute walk to the building. In the waiting room I was sending email. Left the doctor’s office and stopped by Taco Bell, four thrift stores, Marshalls, and TJMaxx. Saw I nice pair of Under Armor golf pants at TJ Maxx that I may go back and get.

When I got home we went to Moes for free queso night. Half of Walton High School was there. Instead of my usual soft taco, I got a veggie quesadilla. Not bad. The burrito is too much for me.

We’re spending the weekend at Sloppy Floyd State park, near Rome, with three other families from our small group. I’ll have a full report next week. I was going to take today off, but kids had schoolwork to do. Hopefully I will leave work early.

Books: I’m finishing up Steven King’s 11-22-63. I’ve really enjoyed it. Hopefully they’ll make it into a movie. I’ll actually be starting the Litigators next week. The first chance I get I’ll watch Prince of Tides, and Anna will watch Titanic with me.

1 comment:

Don Head said...

Thanks for the update. Alyce and Jim mentioned that they saw you.