Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Celebrate Freedom 2012

I'd forgotten what happened Friday night. Think I went home and crashed. Saw where the older twins went to their first football game.

Saturday M and I drove to Woodstock to pick up his buddy, then hit Subway and QT for sandwiches and drinks. By the time we made it to Jim R Miller Park on the other side of downtown Marietta, the parking lots and pavilion were full of cars and people. I was able to weave my way around and find a space on the front row.

Set up our chairs, but people came and stood right in front of me. I followed the UGA game on my cell phone, and took a nap. I took Lang's recommendation and received humorous PGA golf updates from Norm MacDonald on Twitter. The boys went walking around and hung out with friends. They scored seats in the VIP area, and only came back to see me when they needed money for food.

Later that afternoon I spied my friend Reid, so I went to sit with him. He had arrived at 8 am to set up chairs, and he met a man doing the same thing. That turned out to be a Living Science dad I knew. Reid and I walked around and secured places in the Switchfoot autograph line for our sons.

We both grabbed hot dogs to support a local little league, and Reid ate some Williamson Brothers BBQ. Matthew ate a Moes burrito. Other eating options were papa johns, chickfila, snowcones, and cotton candy. People came and went to the concert all day. Earlier in the day there were loads of families with kids, and lots of grandparents as well. After sunset the younger crowd drifted in. The pavilion was jam packed, and outside chairs were set up all the way to the back fence. Air didn't circulate inside the pavilion, so it was stuffy and dusty. After sunset it was much more pleasant outside, though we had a great view from our seats right in front of the sound table.

We heard Jars of Clay, Amy Grant, Jeremy Camp, Leeland, and Switchfoot. Good shows, but I wasn't feeling well, so it was hard for me to enjoy. I followed the Clemson/Auburn game on my phone. The post concert fireworks went off at 11 pm. My front row parking space made leaving easy. Stopped by QT again for more eats and drinks. Famished, I downed a 32 ounce Gatorade. At midnight after we dropped off Justin, Matthew wanted to stop by Taco Bell.

Will had come home from Athens after the UGA game. I spent most of Sunday recovering from Saturday. I was watching the Braves, but turned it off after everyone came home. Joel was there for pancakes, then Becky arrived to pick him up. After Overbay struck out for the second out, I stopped following on Twitter. Only then did we discover that Chipper had won the game.

Late Monday morning I drove Anna up to the Hargreaves farm. They went to the Braves game and the Varsity for Caroline's birthday. I swung by Fuddruckers for a burger. Back home we watched the game and golf tourney. Ceil fixed wings, then I took Will to meet his ride, and picked up Anna. Got home just as the Tech game was coming on.

No comments: