Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Braves Diamondbacks


Left work at 2:45 Friday afternoon and headed to Turner Field. Bad was bad but not terrible. As I walked up to Turner Field I could tell I hadn't worn my compression socks all week. While I was talking to some of my dollar line buddies, the outside door to the Braves Museum opened and the Braves employee come out. Looked like he was 70 years old.

One thing about going to games alone is the interesting conversations I'm getting into. I've fallen into the routine of sitting in the shade with John Parkes, an older guy I knew from Second-Ponce, who attends every game on the 81 dollar ticket plan. Next to him was another old guy I've seen the past few years in line on bobblehead games in Gwinnett and Turner Field that I had never met. He used to have a card shop and still does shows. He also used to be a GM for a few single A minor league teams. These days he only attends the promotional games. Last Saturday he got the 1995 replica ring (which looked pretty good) and THEN drove out to Gwinnett for the Glavine bobble. Why didn't I think of that?

Near them in line were Bobblehead Bobby Myers from McDonough and longtime collector Johnny Tallant from Cumming. The Jewish collector who looks like Jimmy Fallon's doctor friend in Fever Pitch was behind them. Crazy Darrell was playing catch in the fan plaza.

As we waiting for the dollar ticket booth to open a guy walked up and gave me a $36.00 ticket. I stayed in line to get my dollar ticket, so I could collect two bobbleheads. Inside I chatted with BP ballhawks John and Marshall. Norman, the Chocolate Papa, was nearby. Said hello to the Designated Driver lady and got my free Coke. At the concession stand I wasn't thinking when I ordered a "small Coke." I meant to say Coke Zero. Oh well.
John Schuerholz introduced the newest member of the Baseball Hall of Fame. John Smoltz gave a pregame speech and rode off in a Camaro convertible.
Traditional photo of the relievers making their way to the bullpen. Why do they always walk in a line? Somehow I missed Roger McDowell's visit to the stands down the first base line.

During the game I sat with the chap who gave me the ticket. Torey had just moved to Lake Lanier from Utah, and he was a talker. I tried to explain background info of lots of the stuff that goes on during the game. We were talking about stadium food when the girl in front of asked if Turner Field sold helmet nachos, something I really hadn't heard of. She said in Michigan she'd pay $30.00 for a regular sized batting helmet full of nachos.
Coke should sell space on their big bottle to post people's names.
The game dragged on. With the later than weekday 7:40 start it got later faster. By 10 pm I was ready to go, and we hadn't even made the Seventh Inning Stretch. Torey walked out with me. Made it home by 11 pm, just after the game ended. I didn't even stop for supper on the way home (good) but snacked on some ice cream when I got home (bad).

Working at the Braves Museum would be similar to my teenage dream of working at Disney World. I also liked the tour guides at Six Flags on the old river boat ride that would get attacked by Indians. Those tour guides would get to crack the corny jokes.

I'm beginning to feel like Jimmy Fallon in Fever Pitch (second straight Fever Pitch preference – sorry). Every time something came up he'd have to mentally check the Red Sox schedule to determine whether he could attend. Ceil was talking about doing something on Labor Day weekend. That's when Gwinnett gives away Maddux bobbleheads, and you know how I like Maddux. And I'm supposed to get one for my friend in Birmingham as well. My plan is to attend Julio Teheran night. Would've been interesting if Hart had traded Julio. Would they have still given out the bobblehead? The Dodgers traded Uribe and still gave out his bobblehead.

My new desk is close to the lady who doles out Braves and Falcons and Bulldogs tickets. She's extremely fair about extra tickets, always raffling them off, but at least now I'll be more in the know.

No comments: