Friday, August 14, 2015

Food and Fun

They eat more in my new department. One manager is on vacation. His fill-in loves to eat and arranged for everyone to bring in food today. The Ogre used to call it “an all-day eat.” Then I have a lunch meeting, probably the Ruby Tuesday salad bar. I’ll save my lunch for Monday. The fridge at home is full of leftovers as well.

My old department is also bringing in food this morning, but I’ll only partake in my new department. My old department let a lady go who had only been with the company a year or two. She’s being replaced by someone with slightly less seniority whose department was dissolved. Everyone in my old department is swapping desks per management direction. Not sure if the most senior people will be given their choice. Not long before my move they’d hired a brand new employee.

Since my desk is along a walkway from one part of the office to another, the Human Resources lady stopped by to ask how my move went. I played it nice and didn’t bring up any gripes, because it wouldn’t have done any good anyway. Last night I did get a nice welcome email from the big boss, who has been out of town all week.

Wearing my blue Heyward jersey to the Braves game tonight. This year I’ll be attending a record number of baseball games (Braves / Gwinnett / Rome / Chattanooga – 16 in all). Without ball practice and games tying up three or four nights a week it is easy to break away to as many as 3 or 4 Braves games a month. It’s no big production and most times I can spend a night at Turner Field for as little as one dollar, plus only the gas it takes to get there.

This week I sold my old blue Teixeira jersey to a guy in Kennesaw. Also bought a royal blue 1982 cap. Now I have every Atlanta cap plus two Boston caps – and a Greenville and Macon Braves cap. Too bad I don’t look good in them.

Trading five bobbleheads to a guy in Milwaukee for five of his: my Grilli Star Wars, David Justice, Gwinnett Bobby Cox, Gwinnett Tom Glavine, and the Rome HOF triple for his talking Harry Doyle, Bob Uecker, Bud Selig, Hank the Pup, and Paul Molitor. Tonight it’s the John Smoltz HOF bobblehead.

I just wonder if working at the stadium would get boring or problematic after a while. The museum would be less of a hassle than being an usher, but you’d miss more of the games. BP friend Marshall has a brother who ushers in Rome. Would be tough getting off work early 50 times a year. I do need a part time job.

Ceil is always leaving to go places right when rush hour is starting. I try to plan around it.

Nothing new here. Didn’t leave work until 6:45 last night. As soon as I walked in the door I got a work call. Matthew cooked tequila jerk chicken to go with Ceil’s taco fixings: rice, black beans, etc. Did a little more work while Ceil watched Project Runway and the movie Matilda, which looked interesting. Left work early again today but I’ll get in my eight hours.

No comments: