Friday, June 24, 2016

June 23 Braves 4 Mets 3

Left work early and headed toward town. As usual, traffic was backed up to the 85/400 merge. Crossed paths with 14 members of the gang: Kevin Martin was on the way to Lexington to scoop up the coveted Glenn Hubbard snake draped bobble. He sent me two tickets to gather him two Markakis bobbles.
 
Hot Stove Johnny was in line with his grandson and old Hugh (in red). I joined him and later took him up on his offer for seats behind the dugout. I took their picture sitting in their nice seats. Johnny traded me the 2014 Rome Freddie Freeman stretch bobble in return for next month’s Gwinnett Aaron bobble. John Parkes was in his usual spot at the head of the dollar line. After the gates opened at 4:40, I sat with him for a spell. He graciously gave me his bobble. Caleb texted to see if I had an extra. We had worked out a deal by 5:30. Patrick from Warner Robins said hello. Saw him while he was waiting on Katie and Mike. Crazy Darrell stopped by the dollar line. Turned out his sister was behind us in line.
Just before the gates opened the guy in the purple jacket showed up, so I had my picture taken with him. I tried to do something illegal so he would call me out. When I asked if I could break in line, he reached for his walkie talkie. Bobby Myers brought his family to the game. They had a little trouble collecting extra bobbles. Ever the kingpin, Bobby set the national market for Markakis bobbles at $25.00 shipped.
 
RL was in the dollar line with me, and we hung out the rest of the evening. I made a comment about the six dollar French fries we had bought at the May 28 game, because neither of us usually makes such an expenditure. At the end of the evening he paid me five dollars for the fries, which I wasn’t expecting. I told him that wasn’t why I made the French fry comment. While RL and I were gathering extra bobbles we ran into Sandy, the retired designated driver lady. Right after that I saw bobblehead queen Katie Wood, and gave her a hug. Norman, the Chocolate Poppa, shook my hand and chatted for a while during BP.
 
During BP, RL and I took turns gathering extra bobbles. I went out and back in twice, taking my time, going out one gate and going back in another. Stopped by the game used store. Interesting finds: spring training jerseys with patches and special numbers. Also a sweet $150.00 Milwaukee Braves #53 jersey with the black tomahawk and Indian chief patch. I passed. After BP, RL and I grabbed our free Cokes and strolled over to section 111.
Sportscaster Paul Byrd was in front of us for his segment on the pregame show. The guys in front of us said Byrd lived near them in Midway (between Alpharetta and Cumming).
As usual I snapped a pic of pitching coach Roger McDowell chatting with the fans, with The Chief, seated in the background above the N in Northside Hospital.
To our left a young man made a meal off the massive burgerizza, which reportedly isn’t that good.
 
Lots of action in the game, plenty of hits and a few good catches in the outfield. The Braves were hitting the ball hard, though sometimes right at people. Twice AJ Pierzynski shortened his swing and smoothly stroked base hits to drive in runs. Markakis slapped two hits, hustling to second for a double on one of them. No foul balls came remotely close.
 
Walkup music: “Walk Like an Egyptian” for Neil Walker. “It's a Grand Old Game” for Curtis Granderson. “He Ain't Heavy, He's my Brother” for Travis d’Arnaud, whose brother plays for the Braves.
 
Games remaining at Turner Field: 44. The countdown number 45 was pulled off by Home Depot Tool Race participant Two Bit the Drill, with help from Homer the Brave. As Two Bit raised his hands high, Phil the Bucket and his buddies raced in to tackle him. In new SunTrust Park, Home Depot will have a funhouse luxury box next to the jumbotron. Fans in the box will keep count of the Braves’ pitchers’ strikeouts.  
 
Suggested giveaway: a series of garden gnomes for beloved Braves pitching/bullpen coaches Leo Mazzone, Roger McDowell, Satchel Paige, Bobby Dews, Eddie Perez, and Bob Gibson.

On the way home I stopped for gas. My BP card discount made the price $0.109 per gallon, so I filled my tank with 11 gallons for $1.29. At RaceTrac I cashed in my free ice cream cone coupon and filled up my drink cup. Made it home by 10:45. For the evening I came out ahead $22.71 for the $138.11 in goods and services I received:
 
Cost / Value
01.00 50.00 dugout level game ticket
00.00 10.00 parking
00.00 03.00 designated driver Coke
00.00 02.00 RaceTrac ice cream cone
00.00 01.00 RaceTrac soft drink
01.29 26.11 discounted BP gas
-20.0 40.00 Markakis bobblehead
-5.00 06.00 May 28 French fries
 

No comments: