Friday, July 21, 2017

Entitlements



Entitlement is a word I hear a lot these days. Webster defines it as “the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something (such as special privileges and treatment), or a type of financial help provided by the government of a particular group.” People hear about the government providing cell phones, health insurance, and other “entitlements” in addition to the life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness guaranteed in the Constitution, and get mad.
 
But oftentimes those mad at those abusing the system exhibit entitled behavior as well. Exceeding the speed limit. Parking at yellow curbs. Rolling through stop signs. Ignoring rules. I have certainly been guilty of a few of these myself. Why is ok for me to be above the law, but it’s not ok for others? It isn’t.
 
In a related note, this article suggests what used to be known as the post-Christian world is now a world made up of millions of individuals who live as if they themselves are gods.
 
 
Worked until six again Wednesday. Stood at my new desk for 2 or 3 hours. Drove to the library and checked out books by Ken Follett and Chipper Jones.
 
C had supper ready: grilled chicken, spinach, and rice. We ate, then went to Perimeter Mall. Got home at nine. Not much on TV.
 
This morning our GM saw my standup desk and said he didn’t want to catch me sitting. Asked if I had a pad to stand on. Not yet. So far so good, but I need to take sitting breaks. Forgot to wear my watch yesterday so I couldn’t see an uptick in steps, but I’m expecting today to be more than usual.


Today’s Seinfeld story: talking about these stand-up desks reminded me of the episode where George asked why the security guard at the clothing store had to stand all day. “Why couldn’t he sit?” asked George. The guard was given a chair, and soon thereafter the guard fell asleep, and the store was robbed.
 
So Thursday was the first day I stood most of the day at my new desk. OK so far, but by the end of the day I was a little tired and sore. Wanted to knock out a project so I stayed past 6:30. It was almost 7:30 when I got home. Ceil wanted me to clear out the ivy on the far side of the house – something that needed to get done. I hate starting a project I can’t finish the same day, but I put on long pants and long sleeves, and gloves. It was the hottest day of the year, and I was really sweating. Pulled out a wire, but hopefully it was one that isn’t used anymore. Got about halfway done by dark. Went in and took a shower. Was bushed, and slept well last night. Except…
 
Barney was acting odd for some reason. He slept downstairs but came upstairs at the exact minute my alarm usually goes off. He was standing next to my side of the bed, smiling and panting. Then he jumped on the bed and dug around on my pillow. I pulled the covers over my head so he wouldn’t lick me to death. We both went to sleep with him between my head and the baseboard. Later he crawled down to the foot of the bed closer to the ceiling fan, and but his head on my legs. I had to move him so I could get out of bed.  
 
The people who keep wondering if the Braves will be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline – they must be the people who sell their stocks the first time they take a dip. They’ve forgotten that the Braves have a long term plan. Just because the team is doing better is no reason to throw the plan out the window and trade prospects in the hopes of maybe earning a wild card berth. Goodness gracious, have a tiny bit of patience.  
 
Think the Braves will make many moves before the deadline? You’d think if Snit wanted to send Dansby down he’d have done it in this time before the trade deadline, to get his stroke back before August.
 
Rob: We were at the game on Friday.  We did not get there until 7:15, but there were still plenty of Kemp bobbleheads.  Are you going to the game with the replica Aaron statue?
 
I am  hoping the Braves move out some veterans to clear up space for younger players.  We will know after this road trip, but if we are not seriously in contention for a wild card spot, I would rather see Dansby, Albie, Camargo every day in the infield as opposed to them splitting time with Phillips and Matt Adams.  I also want to see a spot cleared for Lucas Sims.
 
Not sure about the Aaron statue game. A guy I’m getting the Gwinnett bobbles for owes me two SunTrust tickets, I guess for the Aaron and the upcoming Freeman. I think there is a giveaway TBA on August 4 and in September.
 
M went to the Tuesday Cubs game with a group of Whole Foods coworkers. He probably didn’t mind the rain delays. M’s car may need to be replaced. Taillights don’t work, and I’m not sure it will pass emissions. Might give him my 2005 Civic and get me something newer. Another Civic, or a CR-Z.
 
Ceil’s teaching is expending from 3 to 4 days this next year. She starts back August 1. We won’t have to pay M’s tuition (at least for now) so hopefully we can make some headway financially.
I see GT QB Justin Thomas was signed by the Saints as a wide receiver. He’s staying in New Orleans to work out and learn the system. Training camp starts soon. 
 
I hated missing Jerry Head’s funeral. I dressed for the funeral but this morning things got crazy and four of six team members were out. So sorry Don.

No comments: