Monday, July 24, 2017

Hot Fun in the Summertime

Rough weekend. On the go the whole time. Friday night I worked until six. Got home and we went to Mellow Mushroom. C got a small Greek salad and we split a small pizza. Was after nine before we got home.

Saturday morning we got outside and worked in the yard. Moved limbs that had fallen, cleared out the wooded area, pulled ivy off trees, then I cut the grass. Worked until it started raining. It was so hot that I had to take breaks. Drank 60 ounces of water.

At 2:30 I drove out to Gwinnett. As usual traffic was bad. Drove through a thunderstorm. Got a front row parking spot just as the rain hit. The rain cooled everything off. Good game. Lucas Sims pitched seven shutout innings. Ozzie Albies hit a home run. Saw prospects Rio Ruiz, Ronald Acuna, and Lane Adams. Phil Gosselin and Joey Terdoslavich played for Indianapolis. But the heat came back, even as the sun set. Drank 40 ounces of Gatorade on the way home. 

I was talking to Johnny and Hugh at the Gwinnett Braves game. I had shown them the Crackers tickets. Hugh wanted one so he could show people what tickets cost back in the day. Another guy was talking about the ballpark in Montgomery, and how a train track ran through the outfield. The old railroad station is the ticket booth. We drove past the Nashville park. Was on top of a hill as I recall. Big scoreboard shaped like a guitar. Didn’t know that about the right field.
I’m reading the Chipper Jones book. He only played a short while in Durham but said he hit the bull, but never received his certificate for a free steak.
Late Sunday morning C and I drove to Macon. As usual traffic was heavy through downtown and south of turn. Got cut off so many times that I finally pulled into the far right lane and quit passing cars. Watched the end of the British Open. C cooked spaghetti and meatballs, mixed vegetables, fruit salad, French bread, and strawberry shortcake for dessert. More traffic on the way home, including a ten mile stretch of 5 mph due to an accident near Barnesville. Got home at eight and I crashed on the couch.

Barney enjoyed the trip but I think it wore him out. After we got home he laid out on the floor, and slept downstairs on the cool floor. Even when I got up this morning he wouldn’t jump in the bed.

After my shower this morning I was in and out of hot and cold places, so by the time I got to work I was sweating. I’m worried poison ivy might break out on my neck. Forgot a shirt to change into for this evening’s dance class. Spilt cereal all over my car. Not a good start to the week.

Got a comment on an old blog post about SunTrust, that the Braves moved from downtown “because racists refused to spend their money to build” a similar development surrounding Turner Field. Guess the guy missed all the AJC stories over the past twenty years of the Braves repeated attempts to build bars and restaurants and give the city 75% of the profit, but the city didn’t want to give up their parking revenues. Guess the guy forgot about the putt putt course next to Turner Field that didn’t last a year.      
 
The Brookwood Grill is catty corner across from Olive Garden, just down the street from HOLA. A salesman brought in Chickfila biscuits this morning. I’m still not quite right from all the heat this weekend. Need to drink more. Dance class tonight.

Jim Johnson will hopefully be traded. A better team can use him in the bullpen but not as a closer.

No comments: