Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Take Me Out to the Masters

Left work shortly after six. Stopped by Kroger for popcorn and picked up a pizza as well. Looks like traffic will be light all week due to spring break.
When I got home I checked and Ceil was just leaving Augusta. She had a swell time at the Masters. They walked back to Amen Corner, and later checked out all the cabins on the 10th fairway. They saw Tiger and Fred Couples, and several others. The new shopping "mall" seems designed to spread out the crowds. Ceil ate a pimento cheese sandwich, and loved the egg salad sandwich. MC raved on the peach ice cream sandwiches. Afterwards they walked back to their townhouse.

Ceil bought me a pair of Masters socks. My sock collection is growing: (1) Hawks, (2) Braves, (3) Masters, (4) Nike KD7, (5) baseball, and (6) blue with red & white stripes). She also brought home some snacks. They didn't see Will, but they did see Billy Payne scooting around on a golf cart. I didn't ask if it was an EZGo.
M took my car downtown to a concert at the Masquerade. I cooked the pizza for supper, saving half for Tuesday lunch. I knew I should've gotten thin crust instead of self-rising, which is all bread. My bad. Finished cleaning up.

Watched some of the Braves. Starting pitcher Sean Newcomb walked Harper and Zimmerman in the top of the first to go with two errors in the inning. Newcomb was lucky to get out of the inning allowing only two runs. Then Harper smashed a homer to deep center, and the Nats were up 5-0. Hard to compete with that lineup when you're committing errors and walking people. Harper walked three times.
Kept checking on the basketball game. Villanova cruised to a win. Michigan's Duncan Robinson looks like Flo's friend Jamie in the Progressive Insurance ads.
Barney had a long, fun day. First he stole half of Ceil's mother's sandwich. Then after riding in the car to Augusta he got to hang out with young Okie all afternoon before riding the rest of the way home. He was happy to be back home, but you could tell he was exhausted. He slept downstairs and this morning didn't jump back on the bed.

Did I tell you how Barney ate a chocolate bar last week. In South Carolina he's a little more rambunctious. He know he can get away with more. During the night he ate the candy bar, and in the morning Ceil could tell he looked sick. She called Rusty's vet, who suggested a remedy to get him to throw up. Ceil administered two doses, and Barney threw it all up. Not sure Barney learned his lesson though.

After Sunday's trip to Macon I've decided to break down and purchase a Peach Pass so I can travel in the high access lanes on 85 and 75. Wouldn't have helped Sunday night, when the lanes were headed out of town. Not sure it will ever help on my Macon trips, since I head south in the morning and north at night. Dang it.

When Zell Miller passed away I couldn't believe some very well-educated people used the occasion to criticize the former senator for his politics.
Did you know the song "Take me Out to the Ball Game" had verses? I was re-writing the song to sing while eating my Masters "Georgia Pecan Caramel Popcorn" and uncovered a mystery:

Take me out to the Masters.
Take me out with the patrons (never called a crowd!)
Buy me some pimento cheese and Masters swag,
buy me so much I'll have to check my bag
Let me (politely) clap, clap, clap for all golfers.
If John Daly don't win he gets plasters.
For its one, two, three putts for bogey
at the old Mast-ers!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_Out_to_the_Ball_Game

Below are the lyrics of the 1908 version, which is out of copyright.

Katie Casey was baseball mad,
Had the fever and had it bad.
Just to root for the home town crew,
Ev'ry soul, Katie blew.
On a Saturday her young beau
Called to see if she'd like to go
To see a show, but Miss Kate said "No,
I'll tell you what you can do:"

Chorus

Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd;
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back.
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win, it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game.

Katie Casey saw all the games,
Knew the players by their first names.
Told the umpire he was wrong,
All along, Good and strong.
When the score was just two to two,
Katie Casey knew what to do,
Just to cheer up the boys she knew,
She made the gang sing this song:

No comments: