Saturday, December 29, 2018

Which is Bigger?

Which is bigger: the Stone Mountain carving or Mount Rushmore? I did a little research: Mount Rushmore: the heads of each president are 60 feet tall.
 
Stone Mountain: 1686 elevation above sea level, 825 feet above surrounding area. The mountain is more than 5 miles in circumference. The carving is the largest bas-relief in the world, over 1.57 acres = 6400 square meters 400 feet above the ground. The carving measures 75 feet x 158 feet.

So the Stone Mountain carving is larger than Mount Rushmore. Pretty sure a sitdown dinner was held on the carving back in the day.
Christmas night we rested. Got out old photo albums, the first time MC had seen them. 
 
Late Wednesday morning the four kids packed up in Will's Honda Accord with Okie and headed back to Atlanta. Arrived in time for a traffic jam on 285. They all ate out together.
Wednesday afternoon I ran over to the cable company to check on a battery. They sent out a repairman. The day went quickly. Chicken tetrazini for supper. Lots of visitors: Lennie and Corinne, Rusty and Ben, Chuck and Jackie, Jordan and Teresa. Made it hard to watch Tech, but there wasn’t much to watch. Went to bed at eleven.
 
Slept late Thursday morning. Deleted emails. More visitors: Housekeeper Ann and her granddaughter, Lennie and Corinne. Grabbed a quick ham sandwich then drove C and Joan twenty miles to Chesterfield to renew her tag. Then 15 miles to Pageland to pick up lunch to go at a country kitchen: fried chicken, mixed vegetables, baked beans, mac & cheese, corn, hushpuppies, a few French fries, collard greens, chocolate cake. I passed on the fried catfish (below).

Was after three when we finished eating at home. Took a nap. Ate a late supper of leftover spaghetti. Thursday night in Atlanta Matthew and Anna grilled salmon.  
My Memphis pullover is too big (below), so I’ll have to exchange it when we get back to Atlanta. I love my black adidas warmup pants, except of the huge white logo on the front. Guess I’ll keep them. Will and MC and Anna all got the kind of warmup pants I wanted, but they probably wouldn’t look good on me.
Last year I decided to ask for a nice pair of socks every year. This year: Grizzlies socks.


Slept late Friday morning, and then did a short workout. Got ready and fixed myself a sandwich for breakfast. Ceil had to take her mother to the doctor’s appointment in Pageland. I was assigned watch repair duty. So I drove thirty minutes across the state line to Matthews NC. Stopped by QuikTrip for a soft drink, then a delicious lunch at the Pizza Palace. The pies were loaded with cheese. I had a piece of three different flavors, and they were all good.


Had to visit two jewelers to get the watch repaired. Interesting Bible verse posted by the jeweler (above). Stopped by four thrift stores. Needed a short sleeve shirt since its so hot here in the house, and I found a nice pair of Under Armor pants as well. Stopped by QT on the way home for another drink. Lennie and Corinne were visiting when I got back, and we watched the end of Auburn / Purdue. 
 

 Saturday Will is attending the Peach Bowl with MC, Thomas, and Holly. Will wore his Georgia hoodie and rooted against Florida. MC wore her Oklahoma cap.
Nice day in Atlanta.

No comments: