Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Work Work Work

When SDA was my boss, we were in the same office. He included me in meetings where my input was valuable. After he moved to Florida my real boss was a VP I never saw or spoke to...I just sent him reports. I had a dotted line report to young DS, who's great. He sticks his head into complicated issues and can figure things out. This is good, but that means he needs me less than SDA. Now I rarely see my new VP boss CK, though he's certainly more hands on than the last VP. SDA suggested I send regular updates of what I'm doing, and the first one worked out well.

Had meetings over at CK's office and also with the Ogre...my office manager friend who thought I'd be a good replacement for him. We really think alike, he's just way more methodical than me...has to understand every issue, and everything must be done his way. He suggested I get an assistant to help take away some of my paperwork, since the new people in the office aren't close to taking it over. Probably a temp to perm. This would be great, freeing me up to review costs more, as well as do more training, and get out to learn SAP...what CK wants me to do. May also take a green belt class.

When I managed the scheduling department of our processing division, I derived extreme satisfaction in vastly improving our office’s Q-rating with the other offices, and seeing employees that I hired/brought in do a great job. JS did so well she was promoted to second in command in the department, and people around the company raved about her work. She lives close by, so she likes her commute. Due to the recent reorganization and business level she was demoted (and her boss had to start doing more work). She sounded ok the day she told me, but I was there in her department where she couldn’t open up. When I was in Orlando they were saying she wasn’t real happy with the demotion.

The ogre hangs on to people in his department. There’s another good long-time employee who’d been held back like JS. Then there’s lots of other worker bees who can’t figure out problems. SDA was better about recognizing good employees and rewarding them, though he was better in the 90’s than he was the last few years.

No comments: