Saturday, May 06, 2017

Star Wars Night Part 1

Always enjoy Star Wars Night at the Braves game.
Fans were early, the Saturday afternoon weather flawless.
The alley between the ballpark and The Battery was jammed with fans.
Plenty of Star Wars characters milling about, posing for pictures.
Some of the higher profile characters gathered on the grass,
listening to a quartet from the Atlanta Symphony playing Star Wars tunes.
A Braves employee told me there was a parade around the field, for those who'd purchased the Star Wars ticket - as well as Boy Scouts. I opted for that instead of the "Braves Walk" outside the stadium, though the Star Wars characters were mostly attending the walk. The Chop House Gate opened just as I was walking up, and the line was super long. Unlike others I didn't want to cut, so I found the end of the line.
Chewbacca was headed over to the grassy area,
so I missed my chance to get my picture with him.
Norman opted to hang outside. later I saw poor Darrell inside the park, pacing around, bemoaning the fact that Norman had yet to enter.
Now we know why (photo stolen from Norman).
Star Wars characters were scattered around the park.
Earlier I'd seen this lady marking with the Braves drum corps.
Not the most flattering pic, though it tells a story.
Guess I should've asked her to turn around, but the escalator was short. 
Inside the park I made a beeline for the third base ramp, where the line was forming for the parade. When I arrived there were maybe eight in line, all Cub Scouts and their dads. People were confused about going up the ramp past the front of the line to get to the end of the line. Most figured it out, including this service dog below, but a couple of dudes with a bunch of Cub Scouts were blatant enough to edge their way in front. Then one of the line-breakers had the audacity to let others break as well. The nerve.
Going down into the bowels of the stadium
I noticed an interesting looking wall. Looks a little like a climbing wall.
We came out of the gate by the left field foul pole,
looking right into the afternoon sun,
then proceeded counterclockwise around the warning track.
Never saw anyone in the Ryerson seats.
The view from behind the plate.
Waited in line with a Cub Scout and his dad
(pictured below, in front of the Below the Chop).
Ender Inciarte's view from centerfield. Note the dark spots on the field formed when the Millennium Falcon took off.
Passing the left field stands.
The far left field fence is indeed six feet tall, in front of the Cardinals bullpen. I missed the chance to take a picture of the door to the bullpen, underneath the stadium. In my haste earlier I forget to say hello to the elderly outfield usher, whose section is behind the four red Cardinal fans below.
Back inside the tunnel the line behind us had stretched all the way around the field, then inside from left field to third base, then hallway up the third base ramp. Always good to be early.
Underneath the stadium two windows were open to service employees.
One sold jackets to employees for $35.00.
Tomorrow: the rest of my evening.

No comments: