Saturday, January 27, 2018

Chop Fest 2018

Arrived at today's Chop Fest around 9:45. There was already a long line, stretching past Anitco and El Felix.
The players came out across the bridge for the chop rally,
then returned to the stadium - walking right past me.
Manager Brian Snitker led the way.
...folllowed by Freddie Freeman and Dansby Swanson.
Dansby was rocking red-trimmed Air Jordans.
Red-haired pitcher Mike Foltynewwicz
and dark-bearded rightfielder Nick Markakis follow behind. 
Gold Glove centerfielder Ender Inciarte.
Top prospect Ronald Acuna gave multiple high fives.
He wore jersey 82 - for now.
One of the Braves top young pitchers.
 New coach, former Braves shortstop Walt Weiss.
 Third base coach Ron Washington.
We got a little rain while standing in line waiting for the gates to open.
Once inside some headed to the field. I noticed Acuna posing for pictures and got in line. Didn't take too long.
He was just voted the top prospect in all of baseball.
I met up with coworker Blake, who'd never been to SunTrust Park.
We circumnavigated the park clockwise, checking out the memorabilia sale and the lineup of bobbleheads. 
We checked out the Home Depot Clubhouse in centerfield.
I'd seen it before, but not the K's posted for each strikeout.
The locker with jerseys was also put in after I visited.
The Home Depot All-Stars. Had a hard time editing these pictures on my new phone, but had I trimmed this one it would be harder to see the cool reflection.
The dark golf greens could still be seen on the outfield grass,
from the two days in October fans could hit golf shots from the stands onto the field. The padded seats behind the plate were covered to protect from the rain, snow, and sun.
Interesting door on the big drum.
We walked down two levels to the Below the Chop,
where third baseman Johan Carmargo had just begun his photo session. Another short line.
Blake and I walked down on the field.
There were gloves and balls to use, so we had a catch.
He snagged all my short hops.
Found a nice pair of Columbia khaikis last night.
Not too heavy. But my usual black pants are more slimming.
Stuffing my gloves in the side pockets didn't help.
We walked behind the plate and went under the stands through the exclusive SunTrust Club into the Delta 360 Club.
Some TVs showed college basketball, others showed what was going on elsewhere in the stadium, like the player interviews seen in the background. In addition to coffee there were pretzels, cookies, and spinach or buffalo dip. Also Cokes, water, or beer.   
Snitker was finishing up his photo session (exclusive for season ticketholders) and there was no line. I told him it was a shame he had to shake all these hands with the flu going around.
Hall of Famer Don Sutton was also hanging out in the club.
We decided to line up to see the next special guests: Dansby and Folty.
We waited next to this big A made from scores of Delta flying wings. 
I walked up to Dansby and remarked "Nice sneakers."
I'd thought about pointing to Folty and telling Swanson "Can I get one just with him?" Dansby said "That's one thing I know about - shoes." It reminded me that he had worn special spikes hand-painted by Will's former teammate Micheal Maiocco. Later we went back to see them as they were leaving, and I was able to mention Michael to Dansby, who asked me how I knew him. 
Coworker Chris arrived. The three of us ate and drank, saw the introduction of the Braves' new mascot Blooper, and waited in line to see Dale Murphy. I walked up and told him I was Dave Murphy. He exclaimed "My cousin!" Before our photo was taken he asked where I lived, but we had to stop for the photo. Afterwards he asked again. As I walked away I mentioned how I used to have a Dale Murphy baseball glove. "He beamed and exclaimed "Those were great!"
A close-up of the Delta wings.
On the way out we saw Pete Smith, so I posed for another picture.
Then I had to explain to young Blake and Chris who Pete Smith was 
- there was Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, Avery - and Pete Smith.
"Like Millwood!" Chris said.
Nearby I saw my first Blooper jersey. Nice name.
Similar to several other mascots, like the Phillie Phanatic.
Hey, he's for the kids. Better than Homer.
The Braves Clubhouse Store already had a section devoted to Blooper merchandise.
Brick of the day: old number 23.
Co-holder of the most home runs hit by brothers.

No comments: