Friday, January 12, 2018

Man on the Moon

Reading an interesting book about Neil Armstrong and his involvement in the space program from X-15 in the 50’s through Apollo in the 70’s. Learning details I never knew about the space programs from both the USA and USSR. Armstrong’s Gemini flight was cut short only hours into the flight due to a faulty retrograde rocket that caused the astronauts to spin and tumble violently through space – while they were out of radio contact with Houston. Armstrong was able to fire the main rockets to get them out of trouble. His cool under fire was one of the reasons he was selected to command Apollo 11 – though when he was picked (during the Apollo 8 flight) it wasn’t a certainty Apollo 11 would be the first to land on the moon.

The decision who would be the first to walk on the moon was decided based on where each of the two men stood in the lunar module. Since the LEM’s door opened inward into the cramped cabin, and the LEM pilot (Buzz Aldrin) was positioned “behind” the door, the mission commander (Armstrong) had to be the first to exit and last to return. The subsequent Apollo missions (12, 14, and 15) followed the same protocol. According to the book (written by Armstrong’s longtime friend) Neil never lobbied to be the first to walk on the moon, and Buzz never “officially” tried to take his place.

Amazingly Aldrin graduated West Point at the top of his class, and as a pilot shot down more than one Korean fighter jets. Then he got his doctorate from MIT. His dissertation on orbital rendezvous was used by NASA. Aldrin then became a test pilot, and was selected for the astronaut program. During the Gemini missions the first spacewalkers had life-threatening problems maneuvering around the capsule. Buzz devloped a series of foot and handholds. On his flight he made spacewalking look easy. This – and his status as a scientist – helped him to be picked for the first moon mission. He is the only scientist to walk on the moon. Years later he officially changed his name to Buzz.


I never want anything for Christmas, but this year I figured out what I wanted: last year the Hawks wore blue and green Maravich-era uniforms. They sold the uniform pants for several months, but I missed that. But I did find the blue and green socks they wore, and Ceil ordered me a pair. Very nice. Next Christmas maybe I’ll get some Braves socks. It’s not too practical most times to wear a cap or jersey, but you always gotta wear socks. 

I’ve had the same black wallet for years and years. It’s really not a wallet but a leather case for business cards. I recently discovered wallets made from the leather of old baseball gloves, with the glove logos and autographs still showing. I’m going to order a wallet similar to that, made from Rawlings baseball glove leather but more like a wallet. When you drop your black wallet in your car at night, it is extremely hard to find.

Anything on tap for the weekend? It’s supposed to get cold again. I got some cleaning up to do, and I need to get back to selling on eBay. And get the oil changed.

Thursday: worked till 5:55 and shut down my computer, but it took 20 more minutes to update and shut down. I finally just grabbed it and threw it in my breifcase. On the way home I didn’t take a turn I usually take, and around the next corner traffic was backed up due to a wreck. Then I had to sit through three red light cycles at Holcomb Bridge and Old Alabama.

M cooked supper: black bean and mushroom burgers. Watched Gomer Pyle, a news report about UFO coverups, and the Gilmore Girls. Went to bed at 9:30. Gotta try and get more sleep. My new glasses came in the mail. They’re taking some time to get used to.  

Got out and walked/ran yesterday morning. Was trying out a new pair of shoes but needed thicker socks. Sore from that. Nice and warm this morning so I sould’ve gone outside again, but was extra sore from the loose shoes. Stayed inside and did my weights. So far I’ve worked out four days both weeks of the new year, and eaten right. I need to step it up in both areas.

I need to read up more on Joan of Arc. Seems like God worked in and through her unlike anyone else in history.

The CPA on the Braves: With Winkler, Sam Freeman and Vizcaino agreeing to contracts, by my numbers, that puts them at $115.6 million for payroll.  I think they will sign a veteran to play 3B - I don't think they will go into a season with Camargo penciled in at third.

No comments: