Wednesday, January 03, 2018

My Christmas Vacation

Friday Dec 22: left work early. Found a sweater in Duluth, but still stopped by Kohls to see what they had. Cheeseburger Bobby’s had a BOGO, so I stopped by there as well. Watched Star Wars Rogue One.

Saturday Dec 23: piddled around the house. Laundry, etc. Watched four movies, including My Name is Doris, starring Sally Field. Got the oil changed in the Civic. Fixed my trademark quesadillas on the panini press.

Christmas Eve: cleaning and packing. M got off work at four. Will had driven from Cartersville to Braselton to pick up his Rose Bowl tickets. Afterwards we stopped by the house just as M and I were packing. Moes was closed so M got Chinese and I got wings at Wingstop. I’d never gotten wings before. I guess boneless wings are glorified chicken nuggets, processed and not real chicken like at Chickfila. Half BBQ (half too spicy) and half Hawaiian.

Christmas Day: a big lunch. Everyone wore ugly Christmas sweaters. Ham, turkey, pigs in blankets, meatball sandwich sliders, chips & various dips, salad, congealed cherry jello salad, buffalo dip, hash brown casserole, key lime pie, pecan pie, and more.

Tuesday Dec 26: just a day to hang out and eat leftovers. I played on my laptop and unsubscribed from junk emails.

Wednesday Dec 27: packed up and gassed up Ceil’s CRV. She wanted to stop by Cabela’s in Augusta, then we ate a late lunch at Moes. C, M, Anna, and Barney continued home, and I checked into a hotel there in Augusta. Ate at O’Charleys with coworkers Rodney and Brad. Chicken tenders, salad, and sweet potato fries. It was free pie Wednesday, so I had apple. Will & MC drove back to Augusta.  

Thursday Dec 28: Brad and I ate breakfast at the hotel: eggs and biscuits and gravy. Cranberry juice. Made it to the plant shortly after seven. Inventory started slow but we were done before 1 pm. Stopped by Moes for lunch on the way out of town. Made it home in time for our small group dinner party: chips & dip, pigs in blankets, Costco sandwiches, salad, chocolate pie, pumpkin pie, etc. Will & MC traveled to Nashville with the youth group.

Friday Dec 29: Had to go to the bank, so I stopped by Park Avenue and found a nice pair of Nike sneakers. Ceil and Anna have been watching the Gilmore Girls.

Saturday Dec 30: busy day. Eye doctor appointment at 11:30. Then I drove down to the Westside to order my glasses. Stopped by Chickfila on the way home. M was at work. Anna spent the day in Athens. Ceil and I went to the wedding of the son of one of our small group members. The wedding was in Roswell, with a sit down reception afterwards. Roast beef, salmon, potatoes au gratin, green beans with bacon, salad, etc.

New Year’s Eve: Ceil grocery shopped. I watched some of the Falcons/Panthers. Nice that the Falcons won, but they’re going to have to take it to another level if they want to advance. They’re only one game behind last year’s Super Bowl pace. The Rams lost to San Francisco, and might not be played their best football right now. You never know.

W&MC spend most of the day in the Nashville Airport before finally flying out to LA. We also watched some locally produced Rose Bowl specials (WSB interviewed Anna’s friends, who rented a 15 passenger van and drove 30 hours out to LA). Also watched the Gilmore Girls. Ceil cooked pizza. Barney kept wanting to go outside because the smoke alarm kept going off. Anna went to a party with UGA students. M went to a show, but made it home before midnight to eat some of the pizza. We were still up when the ball dropped in Times Square.

New Year’s Day: Ceil went to the YMCA. W&MC went to the Rose Parade, then the game. I watched ESPN College Gameday, then some of the Outback Bowl and Peach Bowl. Michigan/South Carolina was “entertaining.” Ceil cook tomato soup and a black-eyed pea stir fry. M had to work, then later went to a show. Anna drove over to Kennesaw to watch the game with friends. Afterwards she came home and watched the Sugar Bowl with us.

During the Rose Bowl I sat on the couch, then stood up to try to change the Dawgs’ luck. Finished the game sitting down again. Didn’t pull out my laptop until after the Rose Bowl ended. Went to bed about 12:45 am.

Tuesday Jan 2: worked past 6 pm. Drove straight home. Traffic was light, I made good time. Anna had gone thrifting with a roommate. C had run to Target. M had gone into work at 10 am and wound up working until closing time (10 pm), filling in at several different areas of the store.

C had baked chicken in cream of mushroom soup. Also rice and salad. Here's where I'm going to bore you with my alleged 2018 diet. I skipped on the rice. My biggest problem is portions. Supposedly I can eat as much chicken as I'd like, though that cream of mushroom sauce wasn't the healthiest. I'm drinking more water this year, and so far that's on target. Ate cheerios for breakfast and snacked on celery, carrots, and broccoli. Lunch was leftover black-eyed pea stir fry. I shouldn't have eaten as much as I did, but it was a decent start.

After supper we cleaned up, watched The Middle and Fixer Upper, and I played on my laptop some. Went to bed at ten. Got up and exercised this morning. Gotta keep that up, and also exercise in the evenings when possible.

Had cereal for breakfast. Not as much as usual. We were supposed to have a lunch meeting so I didn't bring the leftover chicken. Now the meeting has been cancelled, so I'll eat cereal, oatmeal, and more carrots/celery/broccoli if possible.

Anna goes back to Athens today. Classes start tomorrow. W&MC flew out of LAX Tuesday morning, had a long layover in Oakland, then flew on to Seattle, where they met up with friends last night.

Now is finally the time us experienced Atlanta drivers can make fun of the snowbirds in South Georgia & north Florida for not properly jamming up traffic in the snow.

No comments: