Monday, January 29, 2018

Bloop Hit

I should’ve predicted that there would be a huge negative uproar about the new Braves mascot. People like to complain about everything. They say the new mascot is an embarrassment. Not sure how many of the complainers have looked at other MLB and minor league mascots lately. Many look like Blooper – the Phillies, Red Sox, and Cubs in particular, off the top of my head. Even the media is dumping on Blooper. The complainers haven’t seen how the mascot acts – he has tons more personality than the previous Braves mascot Homer. I saw Blooper in person yesterday at the Chop Fest fashion show – he stole the show, and cracked up the cold, wet, tired audience.

Others are complaining about the mascot’s name – Blooper. I think Blooper was the name of the Danville Braves mascot. Nobody complained about Danville’s mascot’s name. What do these people expect? I have not heard one child complain about Blooper. Kids love him. That’s who the mascot was made for – the kids.


I fell off the wagon this weekend but didn’t gain any weight. Had lunch Friday at the Medlock Tavern, a spot near work. Had a salad with blackened chicken. After lunch I drove over for my pre-assessment for this Thursday’s outpatient surgery. Took longer than I would’ve liked (they always do). Very nice people. Got back to work at three. Didn’t even sit down – I went in for my annual review. Boss had been feeling bad these last two weeks, and talking made him cough more. Then I got an alert from my credit card company – someone had charged a thousand dollars on my credit card at Sam’s Clubs. So I’d gone from 11:30-4:00 pm without getting much work done, but I did get a bunch done between four and six, including paying some bills.

Since C was out of town I took the long way home. Went on a shopping spree even without a credit card. Found a nice pair of khakis at store number one. Found a nice Kris Medlin bobblehead at store two but it wasn’t priced so they wouldn’t sell it to me. By then I was feeling tired, and I was worried I was getting sick. After store three I stopped in a pizza place. Didn’t get home until 8:30 or nine. Received my new phone case and the super nice Grizz Gaming shirt. Figured out the logo is two G’s back to back. Watched some Gilmore Girls clips. M came in from work and drove my car to a sleepover.

Saturday morning M got home right when I needed to leave. Made it to SunTrust Field at 9:45 for the Chop Fest open house. At ten the players paraded right past me. Went inside and got my picture taken with phenom Ronald Acuna. Met up with coworker Blake, who’d never been to the stadium. We walked around. Had our picture made with third-baseman Johan Camargo. Played catch on the field. Went underneath to the exclusive Delta Sky260 Club for a snack. Met up with coworker Chris. Had my picture made with manager Snitker, Dansby Swanson, Mike Foltynewicz, and Dale Murphy. Bought discounted tickets to four games. No fees. A good day.   


On the way home I stopped by three more stores. Made two more purchases, including a pair of Air Jordan Eclipse Black/Cement, to be exact. Just odd enough to be my type (for now). Ate my Moxie chicken from Thursday night. Watched the De Niro movie “The Intern” – twice.

Hoping to recapture Saturday’s magic, after Sunday School I drove back over to Chop Fest. Had lunch in the Delta Club. I’d missed Ozzie Albies, so I went upstairs to meet John Schuerholz. Then over to wait for Phil Niekro, but Phil had to leave after his earlier photo opp. He might’ve grown weary from the cold. Next was a fashion show with new mascot Blooper. Not quite the fun I’d had on Saturday.

Went home and cleaned the kitchen and did laundry. C had stopped by Athens to see Anna on the way home. I drove C to Trader Joes. Later we watched Gilmore Girls.

Tonight we return to The Battery, this time to eat at El Felix.  
Sunday School notes:  Our lesson this week was on Ephesians 6:15.  After reading Ephesians 6:10-20, Ephesians 2:13-18 & Isaiah 52:7-10, Brian concluded regarding the shoes of peace: (a) Metaphor:  boots of a soldier – used in battle and for long marches. (b) Meaning:  the peace of God in a believer’s life as a result of the gospel. (c) Practice:  we need to “preach the gospel to ourselves” (Jerry Bridges) as a regular reminder.  The discipline of reminding ourselves of the gospel helps us stand firm against the enemy’s attacks.

No comments: