Thursday, January 18, 2018

Hank and Yogi

In the 1957 World Series Hank Aaron stepped into the batter’s box. Yogi said “Hey, you’re holding your bat wrong. Turn the label around so you can read it.” Hank didn’t look back, but replied ”I didn’t come up here to read.”

Monday at Duluth Diner none of the salads looked good. Should’ve ordered one anyway. The triple decker sandwiches (turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomato with an extra piece of toast in the middle) are real good and I almost ordered that. My grilled chicken sandwich was real good though. I’d never ordered that before. At Duluth Diner I have ordered numerous things over the years. Was feeling good after the weekend, weighing in with a new low. Tuesday morning I had gained weight.

Worked until six. C had helped Becky Norman with the rehearsal dinner invitations. I drove to the library, forgetting that it was closed due to the holiday. Stopped by Dollar Tree and Goodwill. C had fixed chicken soup, a chicken quesadilla, and salad. Watched Gilmore Girls and played on my laptop. Typical evening. Went to bed at ten.

Wednesday: dad to sit in on a conference call at ten yesterday. Then I sent out emails, my normal morning releases, though two vendors were closed. Throughout the afternoon I had to reply to emails and enter orders.

Ceil fixed me an eggy boy sandwich for breakfast. For lunch I ate the fried fish leftovers that M had cooked a few days ago. Warmed them up in the oven. No good sauces so I ate them with ketchup. M got home from work around five and turned on the TV – we hadn’t had it on all day.

C had been playing on her new laptop. On Tuesday I had bragged at how my old laptop was still running well, then I got home and the battery wasn’t working. Had to keep it plugged in to work.  C cooked spaghetti and tossed a salad. I skipped the noodles. M has fixed a cheese dip that he ate.

I cleaned out all my emails and was pretty up to date on my computer, so while Gilmore Girls was on I shopped for Braves jerseys and Honda CR-Z’s (a car). Didn’t buy. Went to bed at 10:30.

This morning I got ready for work. Warmed up my car and worked to get the snow and ice off the windows. Started to work. Our street was bad, but I was hoping the more traveled roads would be clear. They weren’t. Highway 120 / Roswell Road / Marietta Highway was icy, especially on the hills facing east. There were a bunch of cars all going slowly down the hill, in two lanes. An accident waiting to happen. I wasn’t the only one to turn around. I went back home.

C fixed me another eggy boy. Ceil left at 9:30 for a doctor’s appointment. I left at 11 am for my doctor’s appointment near Northside Hospital. The appointment wasn’t until 12:45 but I knew I had to fill out forms, and I had to figure out where the office was. The roads were better than they’d been at 7 am. Everything went well, but I had a problem with my insurance card. Ceil was over at Perimeter Mall, so she drove over with hers. There was one icy patch on the way to work.   

After Neil Armstrong had first stepped out on the moon, he walked around and snapped some pictures. He needed to get a sample of soil and rocks, but first he turned back to take a picture of the first footprint he had made. He stared down in disbelief – in his excitement he had stepped back over his first footprint. Houston was radioing him, reminding him to take the soil sample, but Armstrong didn’t respond. He couldn’t believe what he had done. When he and Aldrin took off from the moon the blast knocked down the flag they had erected. There’s a rumor that Aldrin took no photos of Armstrong walking on the moon, but he did. There weren’t many because Armstrong was holding the camera most of the time. And speaking of Armstrong's footprint...

When I visit a place I want to make my meals out count…NYC, Destin, Myrtle Beach, Athens. I’d rather eat at a local place than at a chain. Then I’ll sit there and look over the menu for a long time before deciding. Sometimes I’m in the mood for something in particular. I remember going to the little Mexican restaurant up the road from Jefferson. I saw this interesting dish on the menu so I ordered it, and it was huge. A little of this and a little of that. I gave some away and still couldn’t eat all of it. At this Mexican place in Athens the menus were in Spanish. I ordered a combo platter. Some was good, and some wasn’t.

I just haven’t been to Taqueria enough to know what to get. Then I don’t go enough to remember. I think I’m ordering something good and then what everyone else gets turns out to be better than mine.

No comments: