Monday, January 08, 2018

Meeting Herschel

Have a good weekend? I stayed on the go. Worked until 7 pm Friday night finishing up a project needed for Monday morning. Drove home and took C to Pappasitos for chicken fajitas. I was good, passing on the chips and soft taco shells. Since we were in the neighborhood we drove through The Battery to see where the new El Felix is…about the same distance as the one in Alpharetta. Right now The Battery isn’t as crowded as Avalon.

Woke early Saturday, bundled up, and was at the North Springs MARTA station by 8:30 am. My train didn’t leave the station until after nine. Went inside Phillips Arena for the UGA press conference. One side of the arena was filled with UGA fans. Some were listening to the presser on headphones. I took a few pictures and moved on.

The “Playoff Fan Central” opened at ten. Not really loaded with things to see. Chickfila was giving away nuggets and Dr. Pepper few drinks. Got my picture taken with the Dr. Pepper RV and several other places. Took more pictures, and got a CFA plush cow with Ceil’s name on it. After an hour I’d seen about everything there was to see, and considered when I would leave.  Then I saw where Herschel Walker was doing a Q&A at 2:15, and he would sign autographs at 2:45. I debated for a while, and decided to stay – more for a picture than the autograph. With several hours to kill I made another loop around the fan fest for more CFA nuggets and Dr. Pepper.

At 11:30 I walked past the Samsung area again. One couple was in line for the 1:30 autograph session with Bama QB Greg McElroy, but over to the side was a line of nine or ten guys – the three hour wait for Herschel. I didn’t have much else to do, so I joined the line. I wanted to be at the front of the line, not 30 minutes (or longer) toward the back. Normally I would spend the time deleting emails and checking my phone, but the battery has been spotty lately, going dead with as much as 25% of battery remaining. Didn’t want my phone to die before a picture could be snapped. I chatted with the guys in front and behind me, and people watched. Gave me time to think what I would say, and worry about my hair and whether the picture would turn out good.

Most in line were memorabilia collectors or resellers toting bags filled with footballs and helmets to sign. With 30 minutes to go one of my bobblehead buddies arrived. He said hello but was looking for someone else – and joined the near the front, the rascal. I did line him up to take extra pictures of Herschel and me, in case my phone died. You’ll have to wait until Wednesday for those.

McElroy came out and took time with each person, speaking to them, posing for pictures, and sometimes signing two autographs, on footballs, helmets, etc. Almost everyone was accommodated, thought as the Q&A time neared the line had to be cut off. By then a huge crowd of UGA fans had gathered to hear Herschel. McElroy said what an honor it was to share the stage with Walker, but Herschel was very complimentary of the QB as well.

Walker was asked how he decided to attend UGA, and he went into story-telling mode, telling how he had really wanted to go into the Marines. He flipped a coin: Marines or UGA, then UGA or GT, then UGA or USC. Each time the coin landed for UGA. I’d heard this story before. Then Herschel told the huge crowd what his mother had always said: if you keep Jesus Christ as Lord of your life, He will honor and bless the decisions you make. Interestingly, on Sunday we discussed a similar verse: Hebrews 10:23-24 “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works.” Had I been sure my phone wouldn’t die, it would’ve been nice to have videoed the Q&A.

Finally after Q&A the autograph time started. It had been announced that Herschel would only be signing the Samsung pictures, to the displeasure of many around me. By now another ten people had cut in ahead of me. I walked up and shook Walker’s hand, and told him we’d had the same coach in high school. He smiled and said “Coach Phillips?” I said yes, that I was from Macon. We posed for pictures. I was handed back my phone and saw my friend snapping pictures from a different angle, so I leaned back toward Walker. As he handed me his autograph he asked “Wasn’t there an NFL back from there?” I was walking away but replied “James Brooks?” He nodded yes, and turned toward the next guy in line.

http://buzz.blog.ajc.com/2018/01/06/a-3-hour-wait-to-meet-herschel-walker-totally-worth-it-fans-say/

http://buzz.blog.ajc.com/2018/01/08/herschel-and-uga/

After meeting Herschel I grabbed more CFA and Dr. Pepper, then made my exit. Outside there was more to do on the grassy International Plaza. I headed to the Nissan Heisman House, but they were out of T shirts. Took more pictures, but my phone battery died before I could take a picture of Mercedes Benz Stadium. Made way to MARTA for the long ride home.

C cooked spaghetti and salad. I passed on the noodles. Watched Falcons Rams and Gilmore Girls.

No comments: