Saturday, January 06, 2018

Press Conference & FanFest

I used to be into fanfests. I've attended a bunch, for the MLB All Star Game, the Super Bowl, Peach Bowl, and SEC Championship Game. I figured the College Football Championship Game Fanfest would be worthwhile, so I braved the 24 degree morning to attend. After a long trip on MARTA, the first stop was Phillips Arena for the UGA press conference.
The lower section was halfway filled with Dawg fans,
some listening on free headsets. I found a seat and took pictures.
On the opposite side were seven stages, manned (L-R) OC Jim Cheney, RB Sony Michel, QB Jake Fromm, HC Kirby Smart, RB Nick Chubb, LB Roqun Smith, and the UGA defensive coordinator. The seven were shown above on the jumbotron.
Below: Kirby and Chubb. I didn't stick around long.
The Hawks retired numbers.
Next I strolled across the street to the World Congress Center for the Fanfest. The entrance was a grand area made up for a photo op.
Panorama showing the line just to take this photo.
I stood in some lines today, but not this one.
My dream vehicle?
The Dr. Pepper area was giving away free drinks, so I visited often.
I also copped a free Larry Culpepper coozie.
At each end of the fanfest were huge metal football players. 
Another area displayed the trophies from the major bowl games.
There was a long line to take pictures with the Rose Bowl trophy,
so I posed with Ceil's alma mater.
Chick-fil-A had a big presence, giving away free cows and nuggets.
Wilson is the official football of the playoff. Cool Airstream.
Another big metal dude.
The Samsung area was hosting former greats from Alabama and UGA. I'd seen most of the fanfest and was considering making my leave, around eleven o'clock. Then I learned what former great would be appearing at 2:45. Took me a few minutes to decide to stay. By 11:30 a line was already forming to see Herschel Walker (longer than the 1:30 line to see former Bama QB Greg McElroy). I girded myself for the three hour wait.
That gave me plenty of time to figure out what to say, right?
Stay tuned.

No comments: