Monday, January 22, 2018

Gilmore Girls Weekend

How was the weekend? Guess I can't complain, but it seems like I never get as much rest as I'd like.

Was going to leave at five on Thursday but it took me over 30 minutes to finish some things up. Drove straight home - traffic wasn't too bad. People must've stayed home due to the snow. Typical evening at home. M went out to visit friends. C and I ate leftovers and watched Gilmore girls. I went to bed at ten.

A new low weight on Friday morning, right on target for my goal of losing a pound a week. February will be tough to stay on track - on the first I'm having outpatient surgery to repair my hernia. Two weeks of not doing much. Didn't realize it would be right before Super Bowl weekend.

Monthly sales meeting for Friday lunch: Dreamland BBQ. I skipped the mac & cheese and nanner pudding. Worked until almost six. Got a decent amount of work done. Stopped by the bank and post office on the way home. Ceil make stir fry for dinner. Also tossed a salad. Watched Gilmore Girls. Discovered the male lead on the Gilmore Girls once pitched for the Braves, and was traded for pinch-hitter Bob Watson. I think Watson lived on Rumson Road behind the church.
For breakfast Saturday I made cheese toast on jalapeƱo bread that M had brought home from Whole Foods. Researched football stats on my laptop, and started in on a decent amount of laundry. M went roller-skating. Anna was on a church retreat way up near the North Carolina border. C went to the Y and went grocery shopping after that. She cooked me a hamburger for lunch. Turned on a MASH marathon to watch as I folded clothes. Also some GT/NC and Hawks/Bulls. I took her CRV to the car wash for an oil change (after spending 30 minutes cleaning it out). Ceil cooked all afternoon, and we had a delicious ground beef and noodle casserole for supper. And salad. We kept working until 8:30 pm. By then my back was hurting. More Gilmore Girls.

Sounds like Jeff Schultz of the AJC now has UGA basketball coach Mark Fox in his sights. Schultz won't stop writing bad things about Fox until he's gone, like he did Richt. Schultz ought to leave college basketball to his comrade Mark Bradley.

Sunday morning I drove down to Macon. Took the food Ceil had prepared, that might last them 2-3 weeks. Cooked lunch and hung out there most of the afternoon. Not sure if he was kidding, but my dad said he played in the first game played at Grady Stadium - and became the first player kicked out of a game there. I'm sticking with that story. My mom tells people I kicked the game-winning field goal in the state championship game. Not true.

I didn't get to see any of the championship games. Followed NE/Jax on my phone and expected a Patriot comeback. My buddy at work is a big Jags fan, and I'm sure he had his hopes tempered, fearful of the envitable comeback. Considering how close the Falcons kept their game with the Eagles, I was surprised by the Philly blowout. Goes to show you that maybe all those experts thinking injured Eagles QB Carson Wentz is so great could be wrong. It appears any QB can win there. But expect the Pats to win another Super Bowl.

Got home after nine. Stopped by the library and Kroger on the way in. Watched more Gilmore Girls. I was barely aware of the show when it ran back in 2000-2007. Now it's a cult classic known for its quick, witty dialog and multi-generational characters (though I'm not sure teenagers in 2001 knew who Gidget and Moondoggie were). In 2016 four more episodes were filmed, bringing viewers up to date with the character's lives nine years later. At that time I saw three of the show's actors on The Tonight Show (below), but didn't know who they were. Now I do. This weekend I showed Ceil that segment. We're about halfway through the 157 episodes.
Last Sunday I tried to log onto my library account but my card had expired. I had overdue books to renew. Then the library was closed on Monday for the holiday. Tuesday it closed early for the snow. I was snowed in on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday the library closes at six. Should've gone on Saturday but forgot. Going tonight.

I missed church but the notes are worth perusing. The topic was the armor of God, but Brian gave it a fresh viewpoint. Here is the summary of the teaching on Ephesians 6:14. Note repeated emphasis on "Standing!" in this and previous verses.

Belt of Truth:
Metaphor: a picture to help us understand a spiritual truth. In Roman armor, the belt was the first piece to wrap around oneself and the piece that held all the other armor in place.
Meaning: the truth of God revealed in the gospel which has its outworking in the lives of believers. "What we think about God is the most important thing about us." Tozer
Practice: Our stand versus the devil's schemes begins with knowing and believing the truth....the truth about God and the truth about ourselves. The place we find this truth is in the Word.

The Breastplate of Righteousness:
Metaphor: The breastplate was the piece of armor that covered the upper body.
Meaning: Both positional righteousness (we are made righteous the moment we place our trust in Christ's death & resurrection for salvation) and practical righteousness (daily living out the righteousness we receive from God through the gospel).
Practice: Our stand versus the devil's schemes requires walking in the righteousness that Christ has already won for us.

Questions for Reflection:
1. What are you feeding your mind with?
2. What lies about God is the enemy feeding your mind with?
3. What lies about yourself is the enemy feeding your mind with?
4. In what areas of righteous living do you need a breakthrough?
Can't believe the new Macon Bacon baseball team's mascot will be a "bacon man" and not a pig. Sounds like with the beer garden they're adding, they're hoping to sell more tickets to the young party crowd than to families.

Not sure about you, but I've never seen a baseball team wear a camo jersey AND camo pants. This is Jake Margolick from Highland Park High School in Illinois. Not sure if the uni is from high school or a travel team. I perused HPHS and saw pink jerseys, rainbow jerseys, maybe even a camo jersey - but no camo pants. Another new low. Sorry about that. Don't ask how someone in Georgia stumbles across something like this in Illinois. It was completely by accident.

No comments: