Thursday, January 04, 2018

Out-Coach Saban?

As good a job the UGA coaches did in the second half of the Rose Bowl, it will be hard for them to out-coach Saban. Since Nick Saban was first hired by LSU in 1999, every single recruit he gave a scholarship to at LSU or Alabama who stayed for four years has earned at least one national championship (through his 2015 recruiting class). 

Good article from Mark Bradley about how Fromm’s freshman year was better than the freshman season of Matt Stafford, Jacob Eason, or Aaron Murray. Probably better than Eric Ziere, Buck Belue, or Ray Goff as well.

If I had championship game tickets I would sell them and buy a new car (not really – I’d pay bills). One of the VP’s here at work bought tickets, and the company has a couple of tickets from the season ticket allocation. I do plan on going down to the fan fest and press conferences on Saturday morning.

It was great that W&MC were able to attend the Rose Bowl. Watching the bowl games made me think about how I’ve visited most of the cities that host bowl games. I attended a Sugar Bowl in New Orleans and got a good taste of the French Quarter. Spent a week in Phoenix and Tampa, and longer in Dallas, Houston, Orlando, Birmingham, and Charlotte. Had nice visits to Miami, Los Angeles, Memphis, Nashville, NYC, San Francisco, and Shreveport. Even if I don’t attend a game I usually check out the stadium. In LA we saw the Rose Bowl stadium, LA Coliseum, Dodger Stadium, and Anaheim Stadium (as well as Hollywood, Universal Studios, the Pacific Coast Highway, and lots of other stuff).   

My young friend Connor Smith is back playing basketball for Oglethorpe after taking off last season with an injury. He is second on the team in scoring and minutes per game, and leads the team in free throw percentage. The Stormy Petrels play games Friday nights and Sunday afternoons (at 3 pm) if you want to go to one with me (Jan 14 & 28 and Feb 4).

Sunday afternoon Ceil brought back $50.00 worth of nuts from Dekalb Farmers Market.

Wednesday: I spent almost all afternoon away from my desk – first across the parking lot training 3-4 people on receiving, then working with a friend in billing. I’m getting stuff done, but there’s a lot more to do. Worked past six again. Had to stop by the bank so I also went into a store in the same shopping center. Found a Braves shirt for Anna.

Ceil fixed Mexican. I ate about half as much as I usually eat. No chips or rice and only one soft taco shell. A little peanut butter later on for more protein. Watched half of the Star Wars Rouge One movie before bed. I missed what channel the Tech game was on (I think). I saw NC/FSU was on. Didn’t check the SEC Network. Matthew was at work, then brought home two bags of groceries.

Today’s lunch meeting went from 11:30 to 3 pm. I gave my chips and cookie away. Found a problem that will take a few hours to fix, on top of everything else.

The new Sunday School class we’re in has people reading through the Bible this year, so I signed up.

Conversations at work went from My Big Fat Greek Wedding actor John Corbett to his common law wife - Bo Derek. My four young coworkers (aged 26-30) had never heard of her.

No comments: