Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Hello Dolly

 Friday: didn’t leave the office until almost 6 pm. Not much happened that night. Checked out Grizz Gaming. Didn’t sleep well Friday night. Tossed and turned.
 
Saturday morning I zoomed with two members of my small group. Joe’s son goes to Clemson and Buddy went to Clemson and knew Ceil there. Both were wearing Clemson caps, so I ran upstairs and got my Clemson cap to put on. Later I went out for pine straw, then cleaned off the leaves from the little-used southwest corner of the house, the spread straw there. Ceil was planting flowers and plants in the front. Then I mowed the backyard.
 
That night we picked up Thai food in Sandy Springs, then drove down to celebrate MC’s birthday (which is actually today). Sat out on their back deck. They say that passersby on the Atlanta Beltline compliment them on the progress they’re making on the house, and ask questions. Will has tilled all the soil and is ready to lay down sod. I need to quit wearing nice shoes down there because I always get them dirty.
 
Everyone had wine except me. Sushi and chicken kabob appetizers. I was starving so I sampled some of every dish, including the curry chicken. Nothing was very spicy. Chocolate cheesecake for dessert, back out on the deck. On their trip Will had played the Tobacco Road golf course on Saturday, then Pinehurst number 3 on Sunday (or was it number 5?). He and MC both played the small par three course there at Pinehurst. Anna gave me her red Dale Murphy jersey, but I wanted to make sure Will didn’t want it first – since I has the same jersey though its not quite as nice. MC said she wanted it. Not sure Anna was happy about me giving away the jersey she had just given me. Later Will slid the jersey onto his dog Okie.
 
Got up at 6 am Sunday to drive to Macon to move my mom’s things. Earlier Sunday morning my sister had asked me to rent a heavy duty appliance dolly to help with the move. I knew the UHaul store would be closed, so I stopped by Home Depot. Parked my car and walked to the door. They were closed as well. Spent half my drive to Macon on the phone with Home Depot and UHaul trying to rent that damned dolly for my sister. The only one was way over in West Macon, all the way across town from where I was picking up the truck. Turned out we didn’t need a dolly after all. Then when I picked up the truck it already had a dolly in it. All that fuss over nothing. What we supposedly needed the dolly to move – the heavy marble-topped chest of drawers my sister had to the list to move (that doesn’t have handles my mom can open) – that we moved over there anyway – later that night my mom said “Well I hope you didn’t move that heavy marble top thing over there.” Great.
 
Arrived at the house with the truck about 10:25. Had it pretty much loaded before noon. But we couldn’t leave early. We had to stick around worrying about every last detail. Important stuff like the number of 7-Ups and V8 bottles we’d packed. My mom won’t be able to handle those big bottles anyway. Probably won’t fit in her refrigerator. Important things like newspapers and pillows and bricks. Fun. I spent the spare time deleting out junk emails on my phone. Then as it turned out we didn’t get to the place until almost 1:30.
 
Unloaded and set everything up. The TV my brother brought doesn’t sit flat on the slick marble top, but he didn’t want to secure it with the brick I’d brought. Hope the TV doesn’t slide off onto my mother when she tries to open those drawers that don’t have handles. Then when we are finished, everyone was just sitting around. I suggested we leave, but was reprimanded for doing so. I went back to deleting emails.
 
To calm down I took the scenic – yet direct route back to return the truck, since I didn’t want to drive on the interstate. Made a left onto Thomaston Road, driving past old Macon Mall. Thomaston turned into Montpelier, which took me past the old bread bakery and my old junior high school – a stately building recently converted into apartments. Then around past my old high school, which has also been completely renovated. Past the old practice fields, then up to Vineville where my parents first lived when they moved to Macon in 1959. Then cut over to drive through Ingleside Village, where my old Baskin Robbins used to be (it’s gone now). Then right on Corbin Avenue down to Riverside to get gas and drop off the truck. Was still so worked up that I didn’t return the truck correctly.
 
Drove back home to give my sister something from my car, stopping by Cook Out for a chocolate shake along the way. Sister was looking for a few last minute items. Finally we all left. I stopped for gas before getting on the interstate, then remembered I hadn’t taken something of my dad’s out of my trunk. Drove back to the house, and talked to dad for a while longer. Then remembered I hadn’t returned the truck correctly, so I drove into town to do that. Thought about stopping by to visit my mom, but already I wouldn’t be getting home until late – and a huge thunderstorm had just hit. Was so worn out that I didn’t care about spending 20 minutes in the tediously slow Locust Grove Taco Bell drive thru line. I haven’t eaten inside a restaurant since March.
 
Got home but knew I couldn’t sleep. Watched the first episode of The Last Dance as well as an old time-travel BBC show called Being Erica. the actress looks like a young Dana Delany. I’ll see how long it’ll take me to watch all 49 episodes, considering Ceil won’t want to watch it.
The Tiger Phil Peyton Tom golf match - I missed it because I was in Macon. Got home and wanted to watch it, but it wasn’t there to watch on delay. I set my TV to record any replay, and magically it was there last night to watch. But by then it was late so I only watched a little. Ceil is in SC until late Sunday afternoon, so many I’ll watch three holes of golf plus one episode of Last Dance each night. Plus two episodes of Being Erica. And Holy Moly.
On Monday my goal was to rest. Didn't work out that way. Didn’t really sleep as late as I wanted. Took a shower but stayed upstairs going through emails. Cleaned up a little upstairs then went downstairs. M had left some chopped up broccoli, so I ate that with ranch dressing. Washed M’s Jeep and my Corolla. The Jeep really needed attention. Came inside and cooked ham and cheese quesadillas for a late lunch. Later I waxed and detailed the Jeep. Started raining so I moved it inside the garage to finish. Wore me out. As I was finishing a bug bit me on the top of my foot. I knew not to scratch it. Put aloe on it, and later calamine lotion.  Watched Who Wants to be a Millionaire, The Neighborhood, Comedians in Cars Drinking Coffee, and more episodes of Being Erica.
 
Went outside this morning for our regular 9 am conference call. Saw the towel I’d used to wax the Jeep, so I picked it up and waxed my little Corolla while I was on the call. When it was my turn to talk, I was out of breath. At lunchtime I drove over to and got my haircut, my first in over two months. Spent the entire time catching up with Denise, my regular stylist. While I was out I picked up a few items at Dollar Tree, and drove thru Taco Bell for lunch. Wearing my Crocs flip-flops to keep that bug bite from being covered up.

DeWAYNE WISE the speedy outfielder once fooled an umpiring crew that he had caught a foul pop-up by pounding his fist into his glove and immediately high-fiving his teammate. On 26-Jun-2012 playing for Yankees, he tumbled into the LF stands at New Yankee Stadium to catch a pop-up off the bat of the Cleveland’s Jack Hannahan. He was helped out of the stands and immediately ran to the dugout, as if he had just made the 3rg out, fooling umpire Mike DiMuro.  Replays showed that Wise had dropped and not even recovered the ball. He just pumped his fist into his empty glove as if he had made the catch and then high-fived teammate Derek Jeter. He played for the Toronto Blue Jays on three separate occasions, none memorable. He signed with the White Sox as a free agent on three separate occasions. He pitched for both the White Sox and the Yankees and retired with a perfect 0.00 ERA. Threw 2/3 inning for NYY 29-Jun-2012 and full inning for CHW 04-Sep-2012.
 
12.13.99 Drafted by TOR from CIN in the 1999 rule 5 draft
04.06.11 Signed as a Free Agent with TOR
08.26.11 Selected off waivers by TOR from FLA
03.05.08 Signed as a Free Agent with CHW
08.03.12 Signed as a Free Agent with CHW
11.21.12 Signed as a Free Agent with CHW
RIP Biff Pocoroba, who passed away at 66.

No comments: