Thursday, May 21, 2020

Picking Up Sticks

I need a haircut so bad that when I went to walk the other day with my friend Rob at 6:45 am, I knew I’d be hot if I wore a cap, so I took a shower before going out to exercise, so my hair would be presentable. Normally when I run in the neighborhood it is pretty dark, so as I start to sweat I can slick my hair back to make it look more presentable.
 
Mighty Mites: once I was coaching Stephanie Dukes, Patricia Starnes, Lee Starnes, and Chad Eaton on a team. There was an extra early makeup game so I arrived in pajamas, a robe, teddy bear, and shaving cream on my face. Also house slippers. To this day every time I see Bill Dukes he reminds me of that day. Now I can’t believe I did it.
 
Busy up to bedtime yesterday. Constant. Worked past five then started updating my laptop. Several calls to Chicago. Then a 55 minute conference call. Ended right before my phone battery died.
Almost missed supper: spaghetti and tossed salad. Was almost 8;45 by the time half the kitchen was cleaned up. Then I had had to fix a problem someone else had created. That took 40 more minutes. Sometimes I feel like I'm picking up sticks.
M was in the kitchen working on a new method of slow-cooking marinated chicken. Very good. Still more to clean up. I poured his leftover marinade on the leftover stew I’d planned on bringing for lunch today. Then another problem that needed fixing. C and M were watching Bon Appetit Test Kitchen, the Tonight Show, a Jerry Stiller skit, Conan crashing a Zoom call, and a famous Tom Hanks SNL bit.
 Was over an hour late getting to bed, well after 11 pm. Slept only 5:22 total 3:33 quality 1;16 deep.
 
Up early this morning for my drive into work. Had to stop by the shop to drop off the keys to the Jeep. Had to stop by the bank. Then I realized I’d forgotten my lunch, so I drove through Wendy’s to use a coupon. Made it to work in plenty of time. Boss had brought me a Chickfila biscuit. Busy as usual. Doesn’t help that one team member has been furloughed, another temporarily assigned to another department, and a third on vacation. Monday afternoon when I left the office I forgot to take my keyboard and mouse home, so Tuesday and Wednesday I had to work just with my laptop. Couldn’t do as much. Then this morning I got to work and realized I’d forgotten to bring the little plug in that connects the keyboard and mouse – so again today I’m just working on my laptop. Can’t use my two big screens. Ugh.
First day back wearing my faux Cole Hahns to work in almost two months, with Sonic the hedgehog socks. Perhaps I'll make this a daily feature - what do you think? I know one reader who'll vote yes.
 
The bosses have declared Fridays to be “hat days” – everyone can wear a hat to work. I’m really not one to wear a hat unless (1) my hair is messed up, or (2) it’s sunny outside. Even then a hat just makes my hotter. Gotta decide what hat to wear – probably a Braves or Stripers cap. I’ll be sure to wear a different cap each Friday.
 
LOU CRIGER  [SABR Bio] is the only Red Sox* catcher to record 150 assists in a season, helping his team to the World Series for the first time - 156 assists in 1903 when BOS won the first modern World Series. In fact, he was the first Red Sox* catcher to record 100 assists in a season – 117 assists in 1902 before the modern World Series existed. As a batter, he once had ten triples in a season where his hit total was fewer than 75. In 1903 = 61 hits, 10 triples. *Red Sox is what we call them today. They’ve were the Boston Americans in the early days of the American League. There is scant evidence that they were ever officially called the Pilgrims, but one still sees that name used for them from time to time.

No comments: