Saturday, May 30, 2020

The 2020 Race Riots

Not sure I am ready to comment on the tragic George Floyd murder, the Ahmaud Arbery slaying before that, or the subsequent riots and looting in Minneapolis, Atlanta, Buckhead, and other parts of the country. I enjoy writing because it helps me shape exactly how I feel and where I stand on what's going on in the world. Without getting too political, I try to use this blog to record what's going on with what's going on in the world, my family, and me. What I'm about to say probably won't be correct, but let me ramble for awhile.
First off: the killings were wrong. Terrible. In no way can they be justified. They are just two recent examples of tragedies that have been going on for decades, that should not be tolerated.
Racism is alive and well in this country. Though I grew up around black people, went to school and played football where as a white person I was the minority, and have counted blacks as friends all throughout my life, I really have no idea how blacks are treated in America, by police, by shopkeepers, and as they try to live life.
I constantly have to check my own thoughts, words, and actions to make sure they contain only love, and not racism, hate, and bitterness. While I hate to see selfishness and ignorance, I know how often I act selfishly and react out of ignorance. It is not for me to judge another's life and actions. I'm even talking about the protesters and rioters - not the thugs who killed these young men.
There is truth in the response to those asking why the protests can't remain peaceful. Previous peaceful protests have been ignored and shouted down. Police treat white protesters differently than black protesters.
Jesus wasn't always peaceful.
He overturned tables at the temple.
You can really tell a lot about a person by how they're reacting to this crisis. Some question. Some deflect. Guess we all can't be Tony Dungy. A friend posted a good article on how to respond to the riots.
These days its hard to know what to believe, or what's really going on in the world. Were these murders orchestrated in an effort to create the unrest, protests, and riots - to deflect attention away from Obamagate? Are these rioters being used - are they "hired guns" by some unseen evil power? With the country seeking to reopen after its long quarantine, are forces at work to continue to wreck the economy in an effort to effect the outcome of the November election.
Some purport these riots are orchestrated, that outsiders have been flown into cities to stir trouble. Some say a majority of the rioters in Charlotte were from out of state. That rioters didn't know where to go, and were led by inciters to areas of visibility. What's the deal with bricks conveniently stacked up on the sidewalks? Whatever happened with the caravans headed toward the US border? After election day they weren't heard from again. Is it the same with these riots?
Wearing my Air Jordan Eclipse sneakers while writing post.
Dang it this could be racist.

No comments: