Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Which Jordan is Best?


Good article by L ranking all the Air Jordan sneakers. I think he stole my yet to be published idea. Here’s my ranking of the top twelve, something I’ve been meaning to do ever since I stumbled across this picture.

12. Twelve. Not my fave. Better in white.
11. Ten.
10. Eight.
9. Five.
8. Seven. Better in white.
7. Six.
6. Three.
5. Four. Looks good in many colors.
4. Two. Matthew had a low cut pair. Looked great.
3. Nine. Love 'em. I had a pair.
2. Eleven. Looks good in many colors, high or low.
1. One. Still a great look. Wish I had some.
 
See where a pair of the original Air Jordans sold for like $600,000? Did I tell you that Will is trying to buy a pair of Air Jordan 1’s? Every now and then they release limited quantities of new sneakers in different colors, and he was trying for one of those. Sneakerheads scoop them up and sell them for a tidy profit. David Hurt use to have a pair of Ones. His brother gave them to him, almost as a joke, and Hurt would play basketball in them, along with his Kurt Rambis glasses.

Friday I left just after 6 am. Picked up Will and got to Milledgeville around 8:45. Rented a truck, gassed it up, and set about packing up all of my mom’s belongings from her assisted living facility. Lots of trips back and forth. Once packed up we headed to Macon. Stopped by to see my mom in the hospital rehab. Couldn’t believe they were allowing visitors.
 
On the way to the house I stopped by Cook Out drive thru for lunch, in the CRV. Will continued on to the house with the truck. Long line at Cook Out but it progressed steadily. Took seven minutes to get to the front of the line. A warm day. Had the windows up and air conditioner on. By the time I got to the window I realized the CRV was overheating. Turned off the AC. Only ran the car on the way home, and turned it off at stoplights. Let it cool while we unloaded.
 
Dropped off the truck and drove back to Atlanta with the windows rolled down. Traffic was heavy but moved well. CRV didn’t overheat. Arrived back at W&MC’s around five. Visited with Anna and MC then headed home. Since it was rush hour I checked traffic. One app said 2-1/2 hours! I checked another app and it said 53 minutes. Turned out the one app thought I was riding a bicycle!
 
W&MC battled rush hour traffic heading out of town on vacation. Will had given up his entire day to help out, not saying a word to anyone about his plans. Surely they didn’t get to Raleigh until after midnight. W played golf Saturday and Sunday, including a round at Pinehurst. Will had played golf Thursday afternoon with David Norman, basketball marvel DJ, and Will’s Little League teammate from almost 20 years ago – Darren.
 
Ceil had cooked lasagna for supper Thursday night. When I got home Friday I was exhausted. Had walked over 12000 steps carrying stuff – six miles. Wasn’t hungry after eating the Cook Out BBQ plate with slaw, hushpuppies, fries, and strawberry shake for lunch.
 
Saturday AM small group via computer, out on my back porch. C went walking with friends. Later I drove her to return some shoes down on the Westside. Sam Flax and IKEA were closed so we took the Presidential Parkway to a Sweet Auburn coffee shop. Then Little Five Points, then up Ponce de Leon past the Varsity to the Downtown Connector, up 75 and 400 to Costco near Perimeter Mall.

I braved two thrift stores. On Northside I emptied my car of everything in there to give away. Shoppers were going the wrong way down aisles, many without masks. Passed on a Falcons sweater hoodie. Near Perimeter I bought a pair of lightweight camo Columbia hiking pants. Not crazy about the camo but otherwise the pants are perfect. Also a brand new high tech lightweight pullover in a nice shade of blue, a much-needed belt, and Ebbetts Field Flannel “Palestine Pals” t-shirt from the old East Texas league. Might’ve gone crazy but I hadn’t been inside a thrift store in over two months.

Ceil made a bean and kale dish for supper, with rice and tossed salad. She’d heard about a funny Netflix show her a girl goes to a regular OBGYN checkup, but the stressed out doctor artificially inseminated her by mistake.
 
JFBC Sunday School. Zoon wasn’t working so we had to switch to an old-fashioned conference call. Then the Passion City Church worship service. Leftover lasagna. Dishes. Laundry. Watched some of the live golf event with Dustin Johnson Rory Rickie Fowler and Wollf. Later we went over to Lee & Nancy’s to socially distance with Reid & Noelle. First get together in months. After that a little TV: The Tonight Show, Bon Apetit’, and season-ending Zoey’s Playlist – with an amazing single camera all-cast performance of Don McLean’s American Pie.      

In the office for the first time on Monday. Plenty to do. Stopped by Dollar Tree on the way home Monday. Got inside the store right before a huge thunderstorm hit. Got soaked going out to my car. Didn’t help that a car was parked in front of the store, blocking everyone’s direct path to the parking lot.
 
Ceil and M were out yesterday running errands, so they picked up takeout tacos for supper, from a small restaurant near the Big Chicken that had been featured in Atlanta Magazine’s recent Mexican food edition. Watched The Voice and Jimmy Fallon while I played on my laptop.
 
Had a guy coming today to fix the fridge and stove. Had C’s car in the shop yesterday. They’re ordering a part for Will’s Jeep as well.
  
Yes I have been out and about more than I’d like, now five days in a row. This morning I walked three miles down by the river in Roswell, with my small group friend Rob. We stayed on opposite sides of the trail.

Glad to be home for two straight days. Then go back to the office on Thursday and Friday, then home three days Saturday Sunday Monday. Guess it’s time to get a haircut, so that will be another outing.
   
MICKEY MANTLE  [SABR Bio] his major league career strikeout record by a batter was broken by Willie Stargell. Just as Mantle had taken the top honor in Ks from Babe Ruth in 1964, Stargell topped everybody from 1978-81, when Reggie Jackson, today still unthroned, took the lead. He was proud of the car he drove with OK license plate #77-7777 - OK Lic. Billy Crystal’s movie *61 starred Thomas Jane as The Mick.

No comments: