Tuesday, May 05, 2020

Where Jokes Go to Die

Rant: normally when I think up a good joke I will post if on social media. I really don’t care about likes and really don’t care about comments (okay maybe a little). When you tell a joke on Facebook someone is always wanting to one up your joke, or try to make it funnier (and fail miserably). Facebook is where all the amateur comedians reside. People re-posting memes over and over that they copied from someone else. Like the overused Hump Day camel. I know I’m not the funniest most clever person around, but I at least try to be original. Wanted to get those murder hornet jokes out there before social media got jammed with them. Some were borderline political, so I didn’t dare post those jokes on social media because I didn’t want all the haters posting comments.
 
Heard a good one today from crazy coworker Roger:
Don’t let Trump cheat. Demand voter ID now!
I can post jokes on Twitter, but don’t have much of a following there. Bobblehead Bobby did post a good graph (above).
 
Big news: on May 18 my team returns to the office – in split crews. The rest of the sales team, and the fab team, have been working in split crews 2-3 days a week. Based on where our desks are, I’ll be going into the office that Monday, Thursday, and Friday. Guess the next week it will be Tuesday and Wednesday May 26 and 27. When I’m there the person in front of me, the person next to me, and the person behind me won’t be there. The two people who sit catty-corner from me will be there, but I can barely see them because of the computer screens. Thankful to have a job. I need it.
 
The other night I was outside on the phone here in East Cobb. Thought I saw the neighborhood fox cross the street a couple of houses down. It was lingering in the yard so I started walking toward it. Turned out to be a cat. We have deer as well. I remember about 40 years ago when housesitting in Buckhead. First I saw a raccoon, then later I saw a fox.

See where in a couple of weeks Dustin Johnson & Roy McIlroy are playing a team skins game against Rickie Fowler and Matthew Wolff? They’ll play a week or two before Tiger/Peyton vs Phil/Brady. Still can’t get enough of the NFL show Peyton’s Places.  
 
Rumor: spring training resumes June 10. MLB season opener July 1. So 35 days until pitchers and catchers report. People are buzzing about the Korean baseball games being shown on TV. I haven’t watched them. Braves reliever Luke Jackson wondered if pitchers threw harder in high-top cleats or low-cuts. My reply: Sidd Finch threw 168 mph wearing one boot.
Heard of some people go inside to eat at Red Lobster, but I’m fine with takeout for the time being.    
  
Monday morning I got up and walked / ran three miles in our hilly neighborhood. I used to go when it’s still dark, but I think those days are over. Waiting until it’s a little more light outside. My heel is still quite sore.
Monday night Ceil made a chicken in tomato dish over rice. Tossed salad. She had a Zoom call with her prayer team from the Passion Conference. I watched two episodes of The Neighborhood. Also some of Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist.
 
In Matthew 28:20b Jesus promised: “And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Always bothered me that in Star Wars they kept saying “may the force be with you” like the force was something that MIGHT be there for you, like they were HOPING the force would be there, but you never could know for sure. Better that Jesus promises to always be with us, and the Holy Spirit will always be inside us.    
 
Denison: Yesterday was Star Wars Day with its annual slogan, "May the Fourth be with you." … The Star Wars universe has been a cultural phenomenon for more than four decades in large part because of its assurance that "the Force will be with you, always." This "Force," however, is not a personal God but, as Obi-Wan Kenobi explained, an impersonal "energy field created by all living things." It is available to us as we seek to defeat the "dark side." In this sense, the Star Wars worldview reinforces and amplifies our belief in ourselves. A single Jedi knight can destroy a Death Star. People passionately committed to good can defeat those committed to evil. … God warned that such dependence on people rather than their Lord was folly: "'Ah, stubborn children,' declares the Lord, 'who carry out a plan, but not mine, and who make an alliance, but not of my Spirit, that they may add sin to sin; who set out to go down to Egypt, without asking for my direction, to take refuge in the protection of Pharaoh and to seek shelter in the shadow of Egypt!'" (Isaiah 30:1–2). As a result, God warned: "Therefore shall the protection of Pharaoh turn to your shame, and the shelter in the shadow of Egypt to your humiliation" (v. 3). … What we must not do is trust people more than we trust our Lord. We must not make our heavenly Father into an impersonal "Force." We must not believe in America more than we believe in Jesus.
VIC POWER  [SABR Bio] was the last active player in the majors to have played for the Philadelphia A’s. Played for PHA in 1954, ret. from MLB in 1965. No American League infielder won more Gold Gloves than he did in the first decade that Gold Gloves were awarded - AL GG at 1B 1958-64, seven in a row. Brooks Robinson and Luis Aparicio also each won 7 GG during the first ten years that GGs were awarded. Al Kaline led all AL players by garnering nine between 1957 and 1966. In his twelve-year career in the majors, he led his league once each in triples, caught stealing, sacrifice hits and sacrifice flies, this last one leading the majors. Led the AL in triples in 1958 w/10; in CS in ’59 w/13; in SF in ’63 w/13 & in SH in ’61 w/12.

No comments: