Wednesday, May 13, 2020

New Rams Uniforms


The much-anticipated unveiling of the Los Angeles Rams new uniforms took place today. As usual the social media response was unfavorable. Some said they were worse than the Falcons new unis (they are wrong). I think the Rams unis aren’t that bad.
Kinda like the numbers, which curve like a ram's horn. The helmet horn isn't that different from the previous one, yet so called experts are having a cow about it. The blue facemask looks much better than last year's white mask.
Seems like the new style in jerseys is super simple, since there's no longer a sleeve to put stripes. Nice simple collar as well. Fans making a big deal about the off-white road jersey, but most will quickly forget about this detail. I like it. Glad the road unis include white stripes, because I distain the solid blue ankle to knee hose that's the current rage in football. hopefully the blue pants will be rarely worn, though I'm sure we'll see the all blue uni for national TV broadcasts.
I won something today – a personalized Uni Watch membership card. To help support the website, about once a week a reader will sponsor a raffle for a lucky reader to win a membership card, or some other Uni Watch branded item. I’ve only been entering for the membership card, a cool item to keep in my wallet. Not long ago a reader sponsored a raffle of ten cards for first responders. I wasn’t eligible for that one. Since Uni Watch’s head honcho Paul Lukas despises purple, he forbids membership cards referencing purple teams – except once a year, on May 17. Since the 17th falls on a Sunday this year Monday May 18 is Purple Amnesty Day (observed). In honor of the day a reader sponsored a raffle of three cards, with the caveat that the winners must pick a purple-themed card.
 
Normally I would’ve gotten a Braves-themed membership card, but now I have to pick a purple team. Can’t think of a local purple team. Furman had nice purple and white uniforms. LSU has purple trim, and a card featuring the back of a LSU helmet would be cool. I could do the seldom-used LSU purple jersey on my card, with the yellow and white shoulder stripes. Definitely in the running.  
 
Certainly not the Colorado Rockies or Washington Huskies. Got any ideas? I have to place my order on Sunday or Monday, on one of the purple days. Maybe the Toronto Raptors and their original dinosaur jerseys. But if not LSU probably an old school Minnesota Vikings home jersey, with block number 21 and MURPHY, and perhaps a glimpse of the three sleeve stripes on each side. Back in the day I did admire the Vikings uniforms, and Fran Tarkenton, Joe Kapp, Bob Lee, Maconite Bobby Byrant, Paul Krause, Carl Eller, Alan Page, Jim Marshall, and Fred Cox.
Steve Wulf, who wrote the “Bag It Michael” cover article for Sports Illustrated, has admitted his bias. After publication MJ never talked to the magazine again. He won’t autograph his picture on the cover. Later Wulf wrote an apology, but SI wouldn’t publish it.   
 
 
Last night Ceil cooked chicken outside on the grill. I didn’t notice, as I was on the phone from five to seven. Also had broccoli and rice. Ceil then rushed out the door to walk with her friend, leaving me to watch Grizz Gaming on ESPN2 by myself. The YV broadcast needed more interviews with coaches. Announcers weren’t shy about telling it like it is. Hopefully they can bounce back against Hawks Talon.
 
When C and M got home we watched Bon Appetit’ Test Kitchen shows about oyster farming and bison ranching, and an interview with entrepreneur Elon Musk. Mush just named his newborn something odd. Guess when they were choosing names from a book they forgot to use a baby name book.
 
Man I didn’t sleep well at all last night. Couldn’t sleep. Hadn’t had much caffeine. Finally went downstairs and read for almost an hour. Got a little sleep but not much. Tired today.
 
DEREK JETER [SABR Bio] has appeared in more games at shortstop than any other American-born player, more even than Cal Ripken, Alan Trammell, Pee Wee Reese or Ozzie Smith. Jeter spent 2,674 G at SS, bested only by Venezuelan native Omar Vizquel at 2,709. Ripken (2,302), Trammell (2,139), Reese (2,014) & Smith (2,511) are 5th, 11th, 19th, and 2nd on the list of Players with Most G @ SS. He was the first player in the post-expansion era to lead his team in hits for each of his first six full seasons. Led NYY in H in 1996 (183), 1997 (190), 1998 (203), 1999 (219 led majors), 2000 (201), & 2001 (191). No shortstop in history has more major league hits. Has 3,465 hits, 6th all-time. Honus Wagner is 8th on that list with 3,420. Jeter’s father, Sanderson Charles Jeter, had played shortstop at Fisk University in Tennessee.
 
If you are like me on my computer I can start typing in an email address and it fills it in. But if I have something wrong in there, it fills it in wrong. Every week I am sending at least one or two emails to the wrong place.
 
I try to take the following pills each day: low dose aspirin, vitamin D, fish oil, a Tums for the calcium, and maybe whatever pills Ceil or Matthew have decided not to take. Been taking a multivitamin or Vitamin C tablet right now. And when I’ve been sneezing from the pollen or changes in temperature, Ceil gave me Aleve to take.
 
Late yesterday I learned my mom will be getting out of the hospital rehab soon. Her place in Milledgeville will not be able to provide the care she needs, so I guess I’ll be moving her stuff out. Of course this happens right when my customer ramps up to seven days a week, when we lost two key team members, when Ceil is headed to SC for her mother’s medical procedure (and when Ceil has to move out of her classroom), and when M’s Jeep is on the blink. In other words, everything is normal.

No comments: