Friday, May 01, 2020

Andromeda

Finished Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Evolution (written after his death by Daniel Wilson). Thought I'd checked out the original book but once I got to reading it realized it was the sequel. Now I gotta go back and real the first book.

Now reading The Bonfire of Vanities by Tom Wolfe. Once I finish Bonfire of the Vanities I'll watch the 1990 movie version, which I've never seen. Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Melanie Griffith, Kim Cattrall, Rita Wilson. Movie supposed to be terrible, but a decent cast.
Had been looking for the Tom Wolfe book "A Man in Full" which takes place in Atlanta. JFBC pastor Clay Smith recently read that book. I resisted the urge to remind him those characters were the type people to use the expression "Johnson's Ferry."
 
The Peachtree Road Race has been moved from July 4 to Thanksgiving. If the virus will burn out when the weather heats up, and might return when the weather cools off, I'm not sure this is the best idea. Usually we are out of town on Thanksgiving. We'll see.
 
MC's brother's June wedding ceremony has been cancelled. They're having a private wedding instead, and having a reception after Christmas instead.  
 
Busy last day of April. Still plenty to do today. Work days fly by. Thursday evening C was out at the grocery. We'd talked about picking up a pizza from Pizzeria Lucca, and at 7:15 called wanting me to order it. I called in the order at 7:15. They gave me a 7:25 pickup time. I drove the three miles and pulled into an empty parking lot (three other vehicles soon joined me). They brought out the pie and I was home before 7:30 – before Ceil returned from Publix.
 
Not much on TV. Watched more Bon Apetit Test Kitchen on Youtube.
Friday: Barney got a haircut. Quesadillas for lunch. C cooking dinner for a missionary family with a newborn child. Will playing golf somewhere outside the perimeter, south of Six Flags. I sold another pair of shoes, a rare pair of Nike golf shoes.
 
Tomorrow afternoon Saturday May 2 at 1:35 the Blue Angels will be flying over Atlanta in honor of first responders. Looks like they'll be flying near our house before circling downtown, passing over Will's house twice. Now you'll know what that noise is.
REGGIE SMITH [SABR Bio] is the only switch-hitter to homer for both American League and National League teams in World Series play - WS HR X 2 for BOS in 1967; Then for LAD in 1977 X 3 & 1978. His was the only hit given up by J.R. Richard in Richard's one-hitter. Richard's 1-hitter = 19-Apr-1980 His was the middle home run hit the only time a team hit three home runs in an inning in a World Series game - 1967 WS 6th G 4th inning… HR by Yaz, Smith & Petrocelli.
 

No comments: