Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Senior Discounts

This summer I turn 55 years old, making me eligible for a senior discount at some places. I'm starting to look out for these discounts. Young grocery store cashiers sometimes give me the discount without asking, and others have started asking if I am eligible. I have no idea why. Recently I saw a list of discounts and decided to create my own. Since I do so little shopping, I doubt I'll make special trips just to take advantage of discounts - it's more of if I'm there, be sure to take the discount.

So many times internet lists like these all full of incorrect or incomplete information, so it is best to always ask whether the business has a senior discount. This list below was taken from the internet, and only includes discounts for people 55 and over. I've left off places we never frequent (like the Dress Barn) and places not located in Georgia.

Arbys 10% off varies by location
Alamo 25% off AARP members
AMC Theaters discounts vary
Avis 25% off AARP members
Banana Republic 10% off
Bed Bath & Beyond 10% mailing club
Belk 15% off first Tuesday of the month
Best Western 10% off
Budget Rental Car 10% off (AARP 20% off)
Chickfila 10% off or free soft drink/coffee
Chilis 10% off
Dennys 10% off (AARP = 20%)
Dollar Rental Car 10% off
Enterprise 5% off AARP members
Fuddruckers 10% off senior platter
Goodwill 10% off every Tuesday
Hampton Inn 10% off when booked 72 hours in advance
Hancock Fabrics 15% 1st & 3rd Wednesdays
Hertz 25% off AARP members
Hilton 5% off for AARP members
IHOP 10% off
Jitterbug Cell Phone $10 per month
KFC free small drink with purchase
Krispy Kreme 10% off
Kroger discount varies, usually Wednesday
National Car Rental up to 30% off for AARP members
Publix discount varies
Regal Cinemas 30% off
Salvation Army discount varies
Steak & Shake 10% off every Monday & Tuesday
TCBY 10% off
TJ Maxx 10% every Tuesday varies by location
Trailways discounts vary
Wendys discounts vary
Walgreens discount varies: 20% off Walgreens brands/15% off everything else

Based on the discounts given by AARP, so far I haven't seen the need to join. I don't rent cars or stay in hotels much, nor often eat at the restaurants they discount.

No comments: