Friday, July 05, 2013

A Peachtree First

After twenty-five Peachtree Road Races, I thought I had experienced everything possible. Wrong. This year I was able to start this year's race all by myself. For the first third of a mile I had all six lanes of Peachtree to myself. Even back in my glory days of running in the first time group, starting the race just seconds after the Kenyans, I was never running down the street all alone. Only after passing the MARTA station and the Star 94 platform did I catch up with stragglers from the L Group.

How I was accorded this privilege? My northbound MARTA train malfunctioned at the Lindbergh Station, and all passengers had to get off and wait for the next train. That Doraville train had been too close to the North Springs train just ahead, and had to stop and wait several times since I had boarded at the North Avenue Station. Fortunately MARTA rushed in an empty train, and the delay wasn't terribly long. Still, by the time I made it out of the crowded Lenox Station and trekked the various side streets up to Peachtree, the P Group was making its way toward the starting line. Now walking briskly, I followed several other late-comers as they meandered in and around the crowd toward the start line. The M Group had just arrived at the start line, and my L Group was long gone.

As I made my way around the right side toward the start I could see than another late-comer or three and already ran off to catch up with the L's. When I finally arrived at the start I made eye contact with the nearest volunteer…a teenage girl. I pointed at my number, saying "I'm in L!" She rolled her eyes, waved me through, and I was off. As I ran off I realized that I had no idea what time I started. I looked back, but the clock was facing the other way. I wondered if a more senior race official would object, but none did. Only later on in the race did I remember the increased security due to the Boston Marathon bombing, and I was thankful a SWAT team didn't jump out and wrestle me to the pavement.

In addition to the MARTA delay, I was partially to blame for my late arrival…another first for me. We left the house late, and I wisely chose to drop Will off at the Buckhead Connector Exit on 400 so we wouldn't be late for the C Group start. After finding my normal parking spot at 5th & Myrtle, I lingered in the car a few minutes to check Facebook and Twitter. Bad call. L Group started at 8:20, and I was forgetting they would begin their slow march to the start line long before then. Eventually I broke out the cheap plastic rain poncho that I had carried in my truck for almost ten years, and walked up 5th to the North Avenue Station. As I waited for the train I took off the poncho. Thankfully I would not need it again.

The first northbound train was headed to Doraville, but since it was crowded I waited the seven minutes for the next Doraville train. Another bad call. I missed meeting my Birmingham co-worker Rob at the start. Once I caught up to the L Group I looked for his red cap/grey shirt combo in vain. Not wanting (or able) to plod and shuffle the entire six miles, I settled into my race routine: running fast for 30 seconds, then walking for 20 seconds. This meant I would weave past many runners on my run on the left hand side of the road. Then I would move over to the right with the walkers. This made the pace slightly faster than the rest of the pack. I passed two teenagers dressed in patriotic body suits. Their picture was featured in the AJC. After the first mile marker I timed my move to the side of the road too late, and I missed the first water station. My late arrival meant I missed an important pre-race porta-potty visit, and the Buckhead McDonalds turned out to be the perfect spot for a bathroom stop…another first for me.
Figuring the McDonalds stop had blown any chance for a decent race time, I also stopped at Second-Ponce de Leon to visit. I had a quick chat with Drew & Nancy Kelly. David Sapp was there, and later I saw Scott & Robin Condra, and Robin's parents. I tossed my empty water cup at Scott, but missed. based on the L Group start time I figured I would arrive at SPdL at 8:45. I had no concept of the actual time, but figured I was behind schedule. Based on this erroneous assumption, I did not kill myself on Cardiac Hill. I stared at the Darlington Apartments Population sign, hoping to see the population change while I passed, but it never did.

At Peachtree Christian Church I stopped to visit with my coworker Ellsworth, who has manned the water station there for years. Though the street was wet, cloudy, and 74 degrees, the cool water I poured on my head let me know I was hot from the exertion. After passing the Five Mile mark I realized I didn't have that far to go. Up to then I was just concerned with the next thirty seconds. At the turn onto 10th Street I heard a nearby runner say he'd been running for an hour and sixteen minutes, but I didn't know if he started before or after me. The pace picked up near the finish line. I made my way over to the right to tell the race official it was my 26th Peachtree, but he wasn't paying attention. Then I realized I hadn't looked at the finishing clock.

One finisher made a show of performing toe-raiser exercises on the curb. I walked into the park with all the other finishers. At first the grass was wet, but it quickly turned to mud. I tried to take the least muddy route, but it was futile. I secured my T-shirt bag, but focused on the mud. Made my way through the crowd to meet Will at stage left. He was barefoot, not a bad idea. Considering he only had two training runs, Will ran a great race, finishing in just over 51 minutes. For the first two miles he was second in his group. He ran the first two miles (and the last) in a sub-eight minute pace. He did that while carrying his warm-up jacket, and he grabbed a Moe's T-shirt along the way.

Instead of browsing the food tents, we found the nearest sidewalk to get out of the mud. We grabbed some Powerades and ice cream, and plodded away. The walk back to the car always takes longer than expected, but it wasn't too bad. Only when we arrived at the car did it start to rain.
Running the Peachtree every year brings back so many memories. Many of these memories include sights and people seen along the way. Some of these people are still there, but some are long gone. The memories include:

1. The elderly twin sisters in front of Peachtree Methodist. Both have passed away, but friends still put out their lawn chairs in their memory.
2. Mr. Hooper is no longer manning the first water station, but I still think about him.
3. Fresh doughnuts at the Buckhead Publix. I have never taken one.
4. The St. Philip's priest sprinkling "holy water"
5. My friends at Second-Ponce.
6. Former Senator Max Cleland would sit out in his wheelchair near Peachtree Battle. I stopped to shake his hand several times.
7. SPdL youth assistant Patrick Lloyd used to live across from Houston's.
8. The Shepherd Spinal Center patients, and Piedmont Hospital doctors & nurses. This year I saw a very pregnant nurse who looked like she would soon become a patient.
9. Former neighbor David Watson used to watch the race from the Mile Four marker.
10. The trombone player on the interstate bridge has attended ever race I have run.
11. Don & Miriam Taylor would watch the race in front of the old Equifax Building.
12. GT BSU secretary Harriet Clardy would watch from a spot near White Columns.
13. The family of a former Mighty Mite player watched from near the High Museum.
14. A co-worker used to live right at the finish line, at 10th & Charles Allen.
15. The Piedmont Park trees lined 10th Street were where I always met my friend Mike Dunnahoo.
16. Walking back up 8th Street after the race I always remember Chris Irwin and his family, who once walked with us there.

No comments: